Tracker Extraordinaire rescue

🌧️ 😥, cold here, snow like rain. Can’t keep the coffee or even the dog warm. But I’m gasket scraping some kind of automotive blue sealer.

IMG_6499.jpeg

Searching tech for proper sequence placement of wave washer on the starter gear cover.. wave washer goes first on shaft? Doesn’t seem right,
Edit.. yup there it goes first

Attachments

• IMG_6500.jpeg
    IMG_6500.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Here’s a tip for anybody installing longer than stock shocks.
Placing a good thick washer before the chain guide on the mount stud and slightly bending the smaller mount to properly locate on the starter gear cover does change the angle of the chain guide position slightly. That helps keep the chain off of the rear of the guide.
I like a good serrated face flange nut instead of the plain original nut there too.

Attachments

• IMG_6501.jpeg
    IMG_6501.jpeg
    364.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6502.jpeg
    IMG_6502.jpeg
    325.7 KB · Views: 47
IMG_6503.jpeg

Re-do of previous owners work is going well enough. As expected, the sump filter gasket was glued on quite stuck! And the used drain gaskets were not even a match. Torn filter of course.
I’m breaking out all the stashed XS parts I have to put this together as well as I can with out too much more parts searching. Very thankful today to have saved these service items for years now.
👍

Upstairs , 💪 the bottom end has made it to the engine build room.
I’m noticing that although the pistons are clean and the rings new and the cylinders showing a young life of little wear, they are not honed ?
Before installing the top end back on would it be advisable to hone or score the cylinders? Maybe just putting it back together is okay?
Any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_6510.jpeg
    IMG_6510.jpeg
    311.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6511.jpeg
    IMG_6511.jpeg
    382.9 KB · Views: 42
If the same pistons and rings are going back in the same hole, no, strictly speaking you don't need to. the rings are already seated to that finish. On the other hand, some folk (me) will hone anyway. A light hone takes the guesswork out of wondering if they were properly seated in the first place.

IMG_6515.jpeg

Are you ready for this? 🤣
Hand honed ! Turns out some food cans are just right in diameter to fit an XS650 bore .
If a guy wraps the correct of duct tape around the can before one wrap of emory cloth that fit is perfected ! 🤩
Yes, I had a real fun time getting just the right scoring on the original bore (low mileage) cylinders to feel fine about the reassembly. I’m looking and it seems only the rings are new. Original pistons just had their domes cleaned.
I’m actually just fine with this as I’ve only owned stock XS’s and at least this engine is cleaned inside.
I’m going to post a cam chain pic here as it appears to be original DID ?

Anyway, everybody watching should understand that I’m assembling a “street legal gravel road burner” here and am not concerned about longevity. If I like the bike maybe another day I’ll hop it up more properly.
So that hone job , was for fun 😃
This SCM gasket kit does have some good ones but there is also a question about the head gasket marked 1.50mm ? Well thats .059 and thicker than a stock .040 ? I think?
What do you think about that ?
-RT
IMG_6519.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6518.jpeg
    IMG_6518.jpeg
    225.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6516.jpeg
    IMG_6516.jpeg
    313.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6517.jpeg
    IMG_6517.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6520.jpeg
    IMG_6520.jpeg
    611.2 KB · Views: 41
View attachment 262129
Are you ready for this? 🤣
Hand honed ! Turns out some food cans are just right in diameter to fit an XS650 bore .
If a guy wraps the correct of duct tape around the can before one wrap of emory cloth that fit is perfected ! 🤩
Yes, I had a real fun time getting just the right scoring on the original bore (low mileage) cylinders to feel fine about the reassembly. I’m looking and it seems only the rings are new. Original pistons just had their domes cleaned.
I’m actually just fine with this as I’ve only owned stock XS’s and at least this engine is cleaned inside.
I’m going to post a cam chain pic here as it appears to be original DID ?

Anyway, everybody watching should understand that I’m assembling a “street legal gravel road burner” here and am not concerned about longevity. If I like the bike maybe another day I’ll hop it up more properly.
So that hone job , was for fun 😃
This SCM gasket kit does have some good ones but there is also a question about the head gasket marked 1.50mm ? Well thats .059 and thicker than a stock .040 ? I think?
What do you think about that ?
-RT
View attachment 262133
I cannot see why that would not work fine.The effort, if I understand it, is to bed the rings.

I cannot see why that would not work fine.The effort, if I understand it, is to bed the rings.
Honing serves two purposes....
Yes, one is to make it easier to seat the rings.
The other is for proper oiling. A cylinder that's scratched up from honing retains oil much better than a smooth finish.

IMG_6521.jpeg

These chain guide stainless screws do not look factory? Chain guide is not new?
What the heck am I dealing with here? Original chain? Just not sure here?

Called the po, rings & chain only.
Good to go.
Now how thick should the head gasket be?

Back