Triumph-like Yamaha Tank Badges

Korny

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Several years ago there were several discussions about Yamaha tank badges that resembled the old Triumph badges.
Is anyone out there reproducing those badges?
Thanks,
Korny

Check with member Resto. He makes some nice pewter badges that are very reasonable. Or do a search "pewter badges" and you will see some of his examples.

Resto's pewter badges look great.
Here's mine epoxied in place on my Heritage Special's Standard tank & painted.
IMG_0024.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0024.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 205
have 1 of restos altenator cover badges , looks good , have been very surprised at the amount of people that squat down to have a better look at it (on the side stand doesn't stand out much due to the angle but but amazing how many people still see it)

+1 on Resto's badges. They are beautiful and very reasonably priced.

Last edited:
I don't want to speak for him, but you can definitely afford them even with the fact he ships them from Canada. He offers several styles from time to time depending on what he has on hand. Just reach out to him, you won't be disappointed.

Hi all,
I knew that back in the spring I cast 3 pair of the Yamaha (in the Triumph font) badges but I had to turn my garage upside down to find them today. They are still "raw", I have to finish them.
Here are some pics of what I have left. I don't sell many in the winter, so am clearing these out now at $10 USD each, plus actual shipping. All are pewter, unpainted, flat (but can be bent). I only have one left of the winged badge with the yellow arrow next to it.
If it's warm enough tomorrow, I'm going to cast the oval "tire" ones. They are more of a paper weight/garage wall or toolbox decoration, not really intended to go on a bike. Will machine some circles into them to represent pipes.
oct3.JPG
oct1.JPG

oct2.JPG

oct4.JPG

Last edited:
I did this type of casting in the early '80's for a shower fixture manufacturer. They bought a machine and system known as "spin-cast". For about $10k they got the whole thing and some start-up help. I made round molds with the masters. Molds were pressure baked silicone. The round molds were spun in a machine and the metal was poured in the center, centrifugal force took the metal through channels to the cavities. I made some prototype parts and some parts that they were already buying from other sources. Too bad, that's about as far as it went. Between decisions of what to do with it I copied some things for the experience. I made some great counterfeit quarters, twenty at a time.

Scott

I did this type of casting in the early '80's for a shower fixture manufacturer. They bought a machine and system known as "spin-cast". For about $10k they got the whole thing and some start-up help. I made round molds with the masters. Molds were pressure baked silicone. The round molds were spun in a machine and the metal was poured in the center, centrifugal force took the metal through channels to the cavities. I made some prototype parts and some parts that they were already buying from other sources. Too bad, that's about as far as it went. Between decisions of what to do with it I copied some things for the experience. I made some great counterfeit quarters, twenty at a time.

Scott
There's many a time that I wished I had a spin-cast. The items I've cast always display more detail at the bottom of the blank where the weight of the pewter presses into the tiny crevices better. You can sort of compensate for that by using a longer sprue, but still no comparison to spin-cast. Nice about working with pewter is that if you cast a bad blank, you can just melt it down again and give it another try.

There's many a time that I wished I had a spin-cast. The items I've cast always display more detail at the bottom of the blank where the weight of the pewter presses into the tiny crevices better. You can sort of compensate for that by using a longer sprue, but still no comparison to spin-cast. Nice about working with pewter is that if you cast a bad blank, you can just melt it down again and give it another try.

I like your system, I'd like to try it with ABS plastic. The spin-cast had vacuum, that I tried to avoid using, because it tore up the molds.

Scott

Back