Troubles downshifting in any gear

drewfunk

Purveyor of fine flannels
Reaction score
I'm having issues downshifting while in any gear. You downshift once, and then after that it feels like the shifter isnt returning to its normal position, so you have to lightly lift it with your toe before shifting down again. This was a sporadic issue for a while, then went away for a few weeks, then came back again and is happening consistently. Any advice for me before i start tearing things apart?

Id start at the top and work back,,,,double check the settings at the clutch lever first and work back to the worm gear and so on.......

My clutch lever broke last week on the inside and gave me some funny problems... possibly dangerous....

Attachments

• 20140522_153434.jpg
    20140522_153434.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 132
The shifter should have a smooth return-to-center feel when fiddling with it by hand. Sometimes binding can occur in the left sidecover boss (from dirt/grunge), inside the metal chain shield (from dirt/grunge and chain strike), and if the shaft retension clip is mis-fitted (slides off and inner/rightside shaft lever binds).

Usually requires that the left cover be removed, and everything around the shift shaft needs to be cleaned, inspected, and lubed...

Back