trusty street tracker let me down

805xs

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I built this 1980 street tracker about ten years ago. Stock motor & stock ignition. After about ten minutes on the road it was like somebody hit the kill switch. So right away I checked the fuse box. All looked fine. Found some shade, sat there for about five minutes & it started again. Headed home & five minutes later it did the same thing, just shut off. Waited five minutes started up. Just pull into the driveway & baaaaaa.
It doesn't feel like a going lean type thing, it feels electrical. Coil? Any thoughts?
By the way, 1st time here, very cool & informative site.

xs650.jpg

You haven't told us anything about the bike. What mods have been done? What ignition do you have. Is the electrical original?

I built this 1980 street tracker about ten years ago. Stock motor & stock ignition. After about ten minutes on the road it was like somebody hit the kill switch. So right away I checked the fuse box. All looked fine. Found some shade, sat there for about five minutes & it started again. Headed home & five minutes later it did the same thing, just shut off. Waited five minutes started up. Just pull into the driveway & baaaaaa.
It doesn't feel like a going lean type thing, it feels electrical. Coil? Any thoughts?
By the way, 1st time here, very cool & informative site.

xs650.jpg

If you still have the original (glass type) fuse panel, I'd bet big money that is where your problem lies. Replace that nasty fuse panel with new automotive blade type fuse holders.

Almost forgot..........welcome to the site!

Here's alittle history on this bike.
Bought from a junk yard back in the 90's. Took it home & instantly dove into this project. Rebuilt motor, head, tranny, fresh bore w/ new pistons & rings, clutch.
Cut off lots of crap from frame & repainted. Installed Omars stuff & painted. Laced up new rims. Put it together & rode, over 10,000 miles on her.
But,,, still has the stock ignition (TCI) & charging system. Changed the fuse box w/ one I made up from a marine store.
The bike has been great for many years.
1980 xs650 sg (the s meaning special?)
So there you have it guys,,,,,thanx

Two things come to mind. First, I don't know anything about the O'mar's tank but I had one bike with an aftermarket tank that did that, and putting a small hole in the gas tank lid fixed it.

Second, a failing TCI will shut the bike off like a switch but it won't sputter or run rough and you can start it back up instantly, without waiting. That can be fixed by very carefully looking at the solder joints on the board and fixing the bad ones.

If you feel something has to cool down, then it could conceivably be the coil, but I've never had one fail that way myself.

As mentioned, gas tank venting, hot coils breaking down, electrical issue anywhere in the ignition circuit, ignition switch failing, trash in fuel, water in fuel..... Jack it up back tire in the air, tie it down, crank it and run it until it stops. Then test 1 thing. If you don't find a problem the repeat the process and test something else. One thing at a time.

Report back with your progress and ask lots of questions. You will figure it out.

And welcome home.

PS. Check your battery. It might be time for new brushes in the alternator.

Last edited:
yea, did the small hole in the gas cap some 8 yrs ago, had issues with the gas we have out here in cal. It wasn't liking the cement omar was using to put the tank together. I'll check the box next. I,ve had coils fail like this on my motocrossers back in the day.
thanks guys for your input

Put an in wire spark tester on it.

Something like this
image_20365.jpg

Does it spark after it quits? That will pretty much cut your search in half.

Put an in wire spark tester on it.

Something like this
image_20365.jpg

Does it spark after it quits? That will pretty much cut your search in half.

I've been meaning to get one of those for years. I use one of those spark plugs with the alligator clip soldered on. It works but that would be so much easier.

And you can ride the bike with it on.
Pretty expensive though $5.00 at harbor fright

yep, bad TCI. Tried a new coil, same results. Threw in a Pamco & we're back on the road. I put a Pamco in my bros bike in less than a hour ( Phil Little's original street tracker that we had shipped out from Minn. to Ca.) but I had a few issues getting it right in my tracker but it runs sweet & I'm happy with the results.

I'll work on that. My bro lives a little north of me & he's on the rode alot with his job. Omars early business card showed it. But I'll get some photos up as soon as he sends me some. Better yet, I'll have him join this forum.

Back