Trying to swap over my whole 1978 to a 1972 frame. HELP!

Jpkole513

Nvr give up Nvr surrender
Reaction score
So after months of searching I finally found a straight frame with a clean title. It's an early frame 1972 with nothing but kickstand bolted on and I just got it home today. Upon inspection next to my 1978 I'm noticing things I didn't know differed between the two generations, I got the motor mounts with the new frame but after measuring the neck I can tell the steering stem is too long to swap front ends from the 78 to the 72, I did some reading and that should be a somewhat easy fix with the shorter stem and a press. I then measured the swing arm and that didn't seem right either (I can't get in the 78 to well as the bike is still together) does anyone know if Infact the swing arms were different or would anyone be able to tell me other problems I may run into doing this swap, maybe some tips?

Oh, you'll be running into a bunch of differences.
You've already bumped into the neck length difference.
Next is the swingarm. XS2 is shorter, thinner axle plates, different axle adjusters.
Rear fender, rail, signals mounts different
Seat mounts different.
Side covers mount much different.
Air cleaners and battery tray much different.
Exhaust/muffler mounts different.

Engine mounts the same.

That's all I can think of for now. There's probably more.

Oh, you'll be running into a bunch of differences.
You've already bumped into the neck length difference.
Next is the swingarm. XS2 is shorter, thinner axle plates, different axle adjusters.
Rear fender, rail, signals mounts different
Seat mounts different.
Side covers mount much different.
Air cleaners and battery tray much different.
Exhaust/muffler mounts different.

Engine mounts the same.

That's all I can think of for now. There's probably more.
Thank you! I'm sorry guys I should've said before I'm making a stripped cafe bike so the signals and mounts and stuff that don't HAVE to be on the bike are all getting zipped off

Thank you! I'm sorry guys I should've said before I'm making a stripped cafe bike so the signals and mounts and stuff that don't HAVE to be on the bike are all getting zipped off

Ok. The thread title says: "Trying to swap over my whole 1978 to a 1972 frame. HELP!"

Should we do a rethink of this project as:

"Trying to build a '72 stripped café using the engine and whatever parts from a '78."

Which may be more doable...

I guess the other thing to define is, is the 78 a Standard or Special? Standard has spoke wheels and drum brake, Special has mags and disk brake. If running a mag/disk brake there may be problems with the M/C placement or the lever actuator, into a 72 frame.

What do you have and what are you going to swap??????

Ok. The thread title says: "Trying to swap over my whole 1978 to a 1972 frame. HELP!"

Should we do a rethink of this project as:

"Trying to build a '72 stripped café using the engine and whatever parts from a '78."

Which may be more doable...
You are totally right sorry I was so frustrated with my purchase when I wrote the thread! You guys are awesome thank you for your insite!

I guess the other thing to define is, is the 78 a Standard or Special? Standard has spoke wheels and drum brake, Special has mags and disk brake. If running a mag/disk brake there may be problems with the M/C placement or the lever actuator, into a 72 frame.

What do you have and what are you going to swap??????
My 78 is a standard and I'm not completely sure what the 72 is the vin number starts with S650 is that helps at all and this is the description on the title

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 191
Back