Turn signals- right but not left

Gestwho

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello gents,
Recently bought 81 xs650h, I'm new to the forum but have scoured it already and haven't found a solution. I just replaced the whole turn signal assembly because of bad solder on the old one. Thought it be that simple but no, now the right turn signal works great but the left does not at all. Bulbs are fine, grounds seem to be good (inside the the light housing). Flasher relay clicks for the right but nothing audial from left. Help? What should I be checking first?
Much appreciate it!

Volt meter is your best friend. Nothing is different from the right to the left. If the right works, it means your flasher is working. The issue is either wiring or the turn signals themselves. Either power to them isn't working or ground to them isn't working. If one doesn't work, sometimes the other will stay lit and not flash, sometimes it won't come on at all. With a volt meter you can find the problem easier. Just spend some time and you'll get it.

You could try to swap the turn signal connections (left/right) in the headlight bucket. If the problem swaps, the problem would be in the handlebar switch. If the problem remains the same, check the wiring to the signals...

Low voltage. When you try the turns is the bike running? Try a bit of throttle. If your charging system is working this should bring the voltage up and the signals work.
Leo

You could try to swap the turn signal connections (left/right) in the headlight bucket. If the problem swaps, the problem would be in the handlebar switch. If the problem remains the same, check the wiring to the signals...
This helped and doing some other tinkering I found the problem in the new handlebar switch I bought. Took it apart and she's working good now!
Can't always trust new...

Back