TX 650 Question Raised Tank Badges or decals

Old_bashturd

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a 1973 TX650 I'm in the early stages of restoring. The Tank is the Blue and gold color, but the YAMAHA looks like part of the tank decal. Other 1973 TX650's I've seen have the raised badge YAMAHA. Do I have a later tank on mine or did YAMAHA make a change during production?

Thanks

The 73 was a stand alone tank for 73, to my knowledge they didn't change it and it should have badges.

Here is a restored example with the decal.
VintageFest2011141.jpg

Google found me these:
MCC-MA12-classicexperience1.jpg

1973-yamaha-xs650.jpg

1973-Yamaha-TX650-Blue-7938-3.jpg

l.jpg

You raise an interesting question.

I think the emblem is early, the decal late. But I am just passing on what I heard. Guy I heard that from said the emblem area was prone to leaking so Yamaha changed to the decal.
The Yamaha "Star" parts page shows a 70-72 tank for the 73 TX650 so they aren't much help.

My TX650 SN S650 2156** has the emblem.

My '73 TX has a decal on the tank instead of a badge or emblem. Have been told there was a leaking problem with early tanks and the decaled tanks were replacements? Can't confirm one way or another but know my decaled tank also had a seam leak near the rear mount tab..........apparently where the early tanks leaked also?...........Wesley

Defiantly not disputing the info about the changes from emblem to decal. Just seems strange Yamaha would do this on a tank that was used for 1 year only.........I'm not Japanese so who knows what/how they think

That's early in the production line. I'll get in touch with INXS through his blog, if anyone has a recall notice from Yamaha he would most likely have it or know.

I'm thinking if it was a recall, due to leaks in defective tanks, not at the badge just bad seams or poor steel wherever. That they took 74 production tanks and painted them in the 73 colors for the replacement program. The 74's didn't have badges so they just slapped paint and a YAMAHA decal on them and shipped them out. Skull showed me the 74 tanks are different but I think Yamaha did have a batch of tanks built without badge mounts to replace leaking tanks.

If that's the case then a badged tank would be preferred. One that doesn't leak would be nice too!

I purchased a 73 a few years back and it indeed has a decaled replacement tank on it. I also have the original badged tank that is keyed the same as the ignition.I don't remember where I heard it but supposedly the decal tanks are replacement tanks that were available from yamaha to replace the original badged tanks that tended to develop leaks at the rear seam.

As long as this is turning into a TX650 thread does anyone have a TX650 with the "72 type" rotor that isn't bolted to the hub? There may have been some early 73's with that type of rotor. if you have one like that, what's your serial number? S650 1234** is fine if you are concerned about that kind of thing.

As long as this is turning into a TX650 thread does anyone have a TX650 with the "72 type" rotor that isn't bolted to the hub? There may have been some early 73's with that type of rotor. if you have one like that, what's your serial number? S650 1234** is fine if you are concerned about that kind of thing.

I'll have to get back to you over the weekend Gary. I need to get down to where I store my TX and take a look.

I'm thinking if it was a recall, due to leaks in defective tanks, not at the badge just bad seams or poor steel wherever. That they took 74 production tanks and painted them in the 73 colors for the replacement program. The 74's didn't have badges so they just slapped paint and a YAMAHA decal on them and shipped them out.
If that's the case then a badged tank would be preferred.

Thought about that but the tanks are so different between the TX and TXA/XSB

Attachments

• tx650-2.jpg
    tx650-2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 501
  • tx650A-2.jpg
    tx650A-2.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 394
just bought my 73 tx off original owner 10/72 build date has 1300 miles and tank was repaired at rear (the seat hides it) where it was leaking

Gary, do you have a photo of the early style front rotor that doesn't bolt to the hub?

I wonder if my wheel was swapped out at some time. I have a 72 xs2 but my front rotor is bolted to the wheel and doesn't have the funny rubber floating mount.

Back