TX route 16 from Graford to Fredericksberg

weekendrider

Iron Horse cowboy
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Is it worth riding? The good, bad or ugly?
Recommendations for German food in Fredericksberg?
On my way to ride the sisters and 16 is one way to get there.

I don't know about the Northern parts of 16, but from San Saba to Fredericksburg, it is an excellent, gently curvy and hilly ride.
Fredericksburg is just a tourist trap to me. I suppose there are some fine expensive German restautrants there, but I have only eaten at the more plebian places, which were all very mediocre.
A much better choice, in my opinion, would be to eat at Cooper's in Llano, which is just north of Fredericksburg. If you have never eaten authentic Texas barbecue, you will find it to be quite a trip.
Afterwards, if you want to stretch your legs, Stop at Enchanted Rock on the way to Fredericksburg, and climb the dome.

If your alternative is south down I-35, then RT16 is the best road in the world! 35 down that way has traffic as dense as New York City. Developed the whole way, best as I can remember. Once you get to Fredricksberg don't miss Luckenbach if you like country music.

Weekender, you get anywhere near here, contact me, I'll give you the nickel tour. This area is a focal point for bike tourers. In fact, if you're in the planning stage, and have the time, I can shoot you some area info and route guides. Be warned, you can be here a week and not see it all...

For restauarants, there's many. My favorites are:
Altdorf - authentic/outdoorsy,
Fredericksburg brewery - various german/local beers, good food
Der Lindenbaum - quaint/vintage, I like the ungarische goulash
Friedhelm - fancy, expensive, best steaks
Crossroads - newest, fancy, western

All except Friedhelm are on main street, a tourest trap extraordinare...

^I didn't think it was touristy at all, but who am I to argue with a resident :)

Thanks for the replies.
Damn DogBunny we had a couple of BBQ places in mind, now we may have to try another.

xj we are planning on making a sideways jaunt see if any of the "boys" hanging out in Luckenbach.

TooManyXS's. Thanks for the suggestions and tour offer. We are going to be staying the night on our way south and west and I had heard the German food in your area was good. If I belonged to a riding organization
the club motto would be "ride to eat" :wink2:

In your Hill Country expedition be sure to sip a Lone Star and listen to some real Texas music at Bandera (the Cowboy Capital of the World). Swing over from there to Vanderpool (great ride) and see the LONE STAR MOTORCYCLE MUSEUM. Every classic Brit bike you could imagine will have a pristene example on the floor there. It is a treat.

As to food, well San Antonio is where Mexicans go to learn how to cook! Get some carne guisada at the Blanco cafe (the original - a block south of Hildebrand on (what else) Blanco Road. Fair warning though: eating there will make it hard to tolerate any other flour tortilla. they will be cardboard compared to the Real Deal.

If you want a FINE steak and the best ambiance in the State of Texas - the Grey Moss Inn is just off 16 before you get to Pipe Creek coming up from SA in the little town of Grey Forrest. You will be talking about it for years.

Man I'm getting homesick just thinkin' bout it.

Burns ??? Are you a displaced local?

what gave me away? the tortillas?

I'm about as local as you can get for those roads. Years ago while a student at UTSA I had a summer job riding motorcycles for an engineering company. I got PAID to ride those roads - can you imagine. I spent my other school year summers working at Yamaha of San Antonio - every Sunday there would be a spirited breakfast run from the shop on Fred.Road up 16 to Pipe Creek. I can still remember how those Venture Royales would wiggle in the curves and how the Seca 550 tracked like it was on rails.

Most recently I lived for a couple years (if you can call it living) in Uvalde and took those roads outta town prettuy much every weekend. Sometimes on my XS, sometimes my PC800, sometimes my Miata. I guess I went by Garner State Park a 100 times.

I've got over 30 years in that country (counting Austin). I'm in Puget Sound now and sure do miss the sunshine.

How 'bout you? You a San Antonio hombre?

Yew betcha! Yam of SA off fbg rd? Does the name Kenny Sahn sound familiar? How about Al Hundare's Automotive Research, had crews driving gazillion miles testing stuff. Used to do those breakfast runs in the `70s. Grew-up in Glenoaks, 1 miles south of methodist hospital...

Yew betcha! Yam of SA off fbg rd? Does the name Kenny Sahn sound familiar? How about Al Hundare's Automotive Research, had crews driving gazillion miles testing stuff. Used to do those breakfast runs in the `70s. Grew-up in Glenoaks, 1 miles south of methodist hospital...

I rode bikes testing stuff for TRW. I didn't even own an automobile back in those days.

I'd bet we sat across a table in Bandera or Pipe Creek over breakfast a couple times "back in the day."

"Kenny Sahn" does ring a bell but I can't place him.
How about Larry Beale? Now he was a character.

And I'm sure you remember Kent Howerton - he raced MX on a Husky back then (went on to a pro career with Yamaha) I watched him doing feet-up 360 burn-out circles on a GoldWing in the YSA parking lot - that kid could RIDE. I knew him when he rode a CT175 at 600 acres (SE side near China Grove).

Oh yeah, those were the days my friend.

Thanks for the memories.

Yeah, this is scary. I still have a small stone chip in my left elbow when Kent's Husky throttle cable stuck and threw me off. Kenny was my boss's ( John of Cycle World ) nephew, was our sales guy, then John transferred him to Yam of SA after he got our Harly shop going. Larry? Damm, that's familiar.
Before UTSA was built, there was a secret/massive cave that (at the time) led south for 3.5 miles. Lost a friend in that cave, they never found him. Was it there when you attended?

Oh hell yeah. I worked for John Miller as a salesman carrying a book for him during his experiment with after-market parts. Neither of us made any money on that one.

Are you talking about the shop on Broadway? Did Kenny work under a guy named Tommy?

Larry was an old flat tracker. I think he worked for John at one time. His son Larry Jr. had some success as a racer too I believe.

"before UTSA was built" oh man that is HISTORY. I heard about that cave but never saw it.

You work at the HD shop now or have a piece of it? I hear those are serious cash cows.

No, left there in `76, went to Dan Antille's new H*nda of SA shop off Bandara, behind Sistrunk's Suzuki. A year later, Sistrunk got the shop, and I left that mess, moved on to Datapoint...

Did you ever see that Peter Fonda movie 'Race with the devil'? They showed up at our shop early `75 and we're in the first couple minutes. Got to meet Loretta Switt and Warren Oates, did a bitscene with him...

Signing off for awhile, goin to town for errands and to put together a care pkg for weekendrider...

WER,
I'm in downtown San Antonio. The first round of Lone Stars is on me, if you make it to town.

TwoManyXS1Bs,
I'm trying to make the trip to Comfort/Fredericksburg/Boerne in a few weeks with a friend and his cb350

Well we made it but missed seeing what may be the best part of 16.
Didn't get to Federicksberg till almost 10. Fair warning it IS a deer road after dark.
They managed to miss us twice.
All in all a fair to good road and those purty cowgirls pull those horse trailers at 75+ if you can keep up. Fuel stops regular with only two small towns(? widespots) not having any working/open. Didn't look for eats, a late lunch at Bill's Catfish house in Waurika, OK and we are still stuffed. Time for a shower and bed.

??? You've been thru here, and then to Waurika OK, then home? That is some serious cannonballing!

Yes, the deer own the roads here, second is the hotrod cowgirls...

Avenue- PM me when you get around to your hill country run and want the fredericksburg nickle tour!

Last edited:
??? You've been thru here, and then to Waurika OK, then home? That is some serious cannonballing!

Yes, the deer own the roads here, second is the hotrod cowgirls...

Avenue- PM me when you get around to your hill country run and want the fredericksburg nickle tour!

That is a long day in the saddle. A REAL long day on an XS. Sorry you missed the SA Tex-Mex - it is the BEST!

Back