Uh-oh...If I dood it, I get in trouble!

Question: If I start driving a Vette at age 73, do I need to get the white patent leather shoes and belt and a snap brim hat?

EDIT: Had the hat name wrong. I guess it's called a "Gatsby Hat"

gatsby.jpg

Last edited:
I owned a '87 C4 several years ago. Yours's will be the same body and engine. I put the Torque Thrust wheels on. Had it for 2 1/2 years and sold it for $5500 and was tickled to death to get that much money for it. Very hard to get in and out of and I'm only 5' 6+". Cool car for a while though.
1987 Vette.JPG

But barring something major, I dood it!

'90 Corvette, 350/6 speed, in my price range. Going to look it at Wednesday. Taking a wad of Benjamins with me.
Be cautious. They had a lot of electronic issues, not the least of which was the POS "Opti-Spark" ignition. They are pretty fast though.

A friend had one and back then when it was new and I was many, many years younger and lighter, I could barely get in and out of the car. Lol

View attachment 323839

I assume that’s what six speed means.
Indeed. That requirement has narrowed my search considerably.

To respond to other comments, being able to get in/out is going to be a major choke point. I don't mind a little struggle as it will just be a joyride toy, but needing a crane or a Personal Assistant is obviously a no-go. A comfortable driving position will also be a big consideration. If I can't drive it for more than 20 minutes without my back hurting, there's no point. Also, going to call my insurance agent today and see how big a hit that's going to be. Finally, need to check the date code on the tires. If the mileage is as stated they could well be the original 30+ year old tires which would obviously need to be replaced. THAT could easily be a deal-breaker.

being able to get in/out is going to be a major choke point.
A comely lass to help, would take care of that!
Do tell us how it goes! cough, pics!
I look and watch. My thought train is more towards 06 up Miata. (tall factor) Corvette a bit too ostentatious? for my bumpkin personna.
I'd be in a Solstice cuz I love the look but tried and nope, about a 15 minute cockpit.

PS even the latest Prius is on the low side RE entry, exit. grr
prius prime and V.jpg

But barring something major, I dood it!

'90 Corvette, 350/6 speed, in my price range. Going to look it at Wednesday. Taking a wad of Benjamins with me.
Aren't you a little old to be having a mid-life crisis? Or, maybe your planning on living to 150, so this IS your mid life?

Or maybe you're entering a second childhood?

Indeed. That requirement has narrowed my search considerably.

To respond to other comments, being able to get in/out is going to be a major choke point. I don't mind a little struggle as it will just be a joyride toy, but needing a crane or a Personal Assistant is obviously a no-go. A comfortable driving position will also be a big consideration. If I can't drive it for more than 20 minutes without my back hurting, there's no point. Also, going to call my insurance agent today and see how big a hit that's going to be. Finally, need to check the date code on the tires. If the mileage is as stated they could well be the original 30+ year old tires which would obviously need to be replaced. THAT could easily be a deal-breaker.
Wow ..a 90 with original tires ..not many miles ...and not hot rodded .. has it been properly garaged
Some service
it can be something to go for. Depending on price of course

Be cautious. They had a lot of electronic issues, not the least of which was the POS "Opti-Spark" ignition. They are pretty fast though.

The Optispark didn't come out until 1992 with the advent of the second generation small block (LT) engines.

The Corvette didn't have many issues anyone with a DVM, a test light, and a basic knowledge of electricity can't contend with. ECM is OBD1, so an old style scan tool is needed (Snap On red bricks are pretty cheap on Fleabay).

The Optispark didn't come out until 1992 with the advent of the second generation small block (LT) engines.

The Corvette didn't have many issues anyone with a DVM, a test light, and a basic knowledge of electricity can't contend with. ECM is OBD1, so an old style scan tool is needed (Snap On red bricks are pretty cheap on Fleabay).
Thanks for the correction.

I got tired of 4 Hondas cars that all burned me...although the 4 Honda motorcycles were dead nuts reliable...But I decided to get the best engine ever made by GM...the 3800 Series 2 V6... 2004 Buick LeSabre Custom with 110K miles ..a cream puff...very practical and dead nuts reliable...and easy to find parts for and work on it...I'm 71 so yeah its time to coddle the old fart in comfort...Yeaaah!
20230908_094702 3.jpg

Last edited:
Back