Uh-oh...If I dood it, I get in trouble!

I seem to remember, my '87 came with 16" wheels...don't know if Chevy changed over the 3 years until yours. There wasn't a lot of choice on tires there.
If yours has power seats, that would be a bonus. Another thing, the 'hood' lifts like a funny car, and probably as heavy. Don't drop it while closing.
...Looks like a nice one though.

I got tired of 4 Hondas cars that all burned me...although the 4 Honda motorcycles were dead nuts reliable...But I decided to get the best engine ever made by GM...the 3800 Series 2 V6... 2004 Buick LeSabre Custom with 110K miles ..a cream puff...very practical and dead nuts reliable...and easy to find parts for and work on it...I'm 71 so yeah its time to coddle the old fart in comfort...Yeaaah!
View attachment 323902
Had the 3800 motor in an '06 Grand Prix. Mating surface on the water pump to block (on the block side) corroded bad enough I had to half ass the leak with RTV. Sold it shortly after. 140k miles. Found out in some forums that it was a common problem on that motor. Motor disassembly and weld/machine or replace the block was the proper fix.

Had the 3800 motor in an '06 Grand Prix. Mating surface on the water pump to block (on the block side) corroded bad enough I had to half ass the leak with RTV. Sold it shortly after. 140k miles. Found out in some forums that it was a common problem on that motor. Motor disassembly and weld/machine or replace the block was the proper fix.
I have not heard of this on the 8th generation LeSabres...and am not so sure it is as common as you say it is...I have been on a very informative FB page about this car.. Cannot say with certainty though that this is commono or uncommon...to date i have not heard or read anything about this issue.
Consulting the experts...

Last edited:
Ah.. this makes sense now..the series ll motors were done by 2005... Series lll were not as good.......this quote from a 8th gen. LeSabre owner...

Bill Ballerstedt
" Never heard of that problem. BTW, 06 GP had Series III 3800. Water pump mounts to the timing cover. Timing cover to the block can develop a coolant leak near the area of the lower radiator hose connection, but far as I know it just involves the gasket and usually at high mileage (250K +). One would have to really neglect the cooling system to result in what your friend described. "

Indeed. That requirement has narrowed my search considerably.

To respond to other comments, being able to get in/out is going to be a major choke point. I don't mind a little struggle as it will just be a joyride toy, but needing a crane or a Personal Assistant is obviously a no-go. A comfortable driving position will also be a big consideration. If I can't drive it for more than 20 minutes without my back hurting, there's no point. Also, going to call my insurance agent today and see how big a hit that's going to be. Finally, need to check the date code on the tires. If the mileage is as stated they could well be the original 30+ year old tires which would obviously need to be replaced. THAT could easily be a deal-breaker.
Bill says use Hagerty's -- https://www.hagerty.com -- otherwise they treat it like an old car instead of a collectable. Also much better rates.

Bill says use Hagerty's -- https://www.hagerty.com -- otherwise they treat it like an old car instead of a collectable. Also much better rates.
I got a quote from them and it was about 1/3 of the quote from my regular guy (State Farm). Definitely going with them if the deal is struck.

Got it bought. Arranging insurance and registration now, daughter will take me back down Saturday to pick it up.

Exactly as advertised, 20,435 miles on the odometer, spotless inside and out. Only flaw I could find was some paint chips around the driver's side flip-up headlight. Test drive was short as it didn't have much gas in it and it was raining. Guy said as far as he knows, that's the first time it's ever had rain on it. :D

Way to go DE! 😃 Hope you have a blast with it!
IMG_0391.png

Got it bought. Arranging insurance and registration now, daughter will take me back down Saturday to pick it up.

Exactly as advertised, 20,435 miles on the odometer, spotless inside and out. Only flaw I could find was some paint chips around the driver's side flip-up headlight. Test drive was short as it didn't have much gas in it and it was raining. Guy said as far as he knows, that's the first time it's ever had rain on it. :D
Nice find DE. Now its time to enjoy the ride.

If you're at all like my husband, likely be the last time, as well. He drives it, just not in bad weather.

If you're at all like my husband, likely be the last time, as well. He drives it, just not in bad weather.
Highly likely. I didn't (intentionally) ride in the rain either. At least this way if I get caught away from home I can just put the top up.

Assuming I even put it down. I'll have to at least once just because, but I suspect the wind noise will be a show-stopper, particularly with my (lack of...) hearing.

Highly likely. I didn't (intentionally) ride in the rain either. At least this way if I get caught away from home I can just put the top up.

Assuming I even put it down. I'll have to at least once just because, but I suspect the wind noise will be a show-stopper, particularly with my (lack of...) hearing.
Good job! If you go to Google Images and type in Sean Roe Corvette race car you can see pics of the one I crewed for in 1995. One of the most fun years of my life.

I got a quote from them and it was about 1/3 of the quote from my regular guy (State Farm). Definitely going with them if the deal is struck.
Hagerty's sends a notification whenever the value goes up, too, so we can decide if we want to raise the coverage. Value's gone up 2K since we got it, bill went up $41 for the a year. Plus they have a cool collector cars magazine. Don't know if they do motorcycles. Should check. I put full coverage on Rusty at Dairyland for $69 year, but I don't have a clue what they think it's worth. Hagerty's, you know cause you set the value.

Back