Uh-oh...If I dood it, I get in trouble!

particularly with my (lack of...) hearing.
Ear plugs. Buy them. Use them. I have nearly 40 years of flight line experience. I’ve also done a bit of shooting, lots of rock concerts, loud music at home. My hearing is exceptional for a man my age.
If I were the law, I’d write you a citation for driving that car with the top up on a nice day.
Enjoy it to the fullest!

1714000032645.png

Ear plugs. Buy them. Use them. I have nearly 40 years of flight line experience. I’ve also done a bit of shooting, lots of rock concerts, loud music at home. My hearing is exceptional for a man my age.
If I were the law, I’d write you a citation for driving that car with the top up on a nice day.
Enjoy it to the fullest!
Like Marty, I've got over 40yrs working on and around jet engines. In the early 80's, an explosive decompression at 25,000 ft took out my left ear. It's gone... completely. The silver lining is it forced me to take extra care of the one and only ear left.... which I wasn't doing prior. My right ear is near perfect as a result.

Use your damn ear protection!!

Last edited:
Like Marty, I've got over 40yrs working on and around jet engines. In the early 80's, an explosive decompression at 25,000 ft took out my left ear. It's gone... completely. The silver lining is it forced me to take extra care of the one and only ear left.... which I wasn't doing prior. My right ear is near perfect as a result.

Use your damn ear protection!!
HEY JIM, I GOT SOME MONO VINYL RECORDS YOU COULD BORROW? ........... 👂........:whistle:

pJJNbpW.jpg

oahzW4c.jpg

dJll02X.jpg

A buddy who gets the "Christmas Morning" aspect of getting a new car offered to ride down with me today and pick it up vs. waiting for Saturday so my daughter could take me.

Ride back went perfectly, noticed a couple of things that may need tweaking:

1. Distinct shimmy between 56-58 MPH. Pretty sure the tires are the 30+ year old originals, so guessing some fresh rubber will fix that.

2. Idle seems a bit lumpy, almost like a miss, but it runs smooth as silk under a little throttle. May just be the Nature of the Beast.

3. The rear window in the convertible top is pretty cloudy. Need to look into the expense/hassle of replacing that.

If you can believe the dash readout, it was averaging a hair over 20MPG on the way home. Even allowing for the usually optimistic nature of on-board computers, it should be getting 18 or 19 which is much better than I expected. My truck won't do that.

Of course, I was driving like a little old lady because it's been a LONG time since I drove anything with a foot clutch, plus a Red Corvette is like poking the cops in the eye with a stick, and I'm more than a bit leery of those tires. I'll make an appointment to have my mechanic look it over and get him to shoot me a quote on some new rubber.

View attachment 324075

View attachment 324076

View attachment 324077

A buddy who gets the "Christmas Morning" aspect of getting a new car offered to ride down with me today and pick it up vs. waiting for Saturday so my daughter could take me.

Ride back went perfectly, noticed a couple of things that may need tweaking:

1. Distinct shimmy between 56-58 MPH. Pretty sure the tires are the 30+ year old originals, so guessing some fresh rubber will fix that.

2. Idle seems a bit lumpy, almost like a miss, but it runs smooth as silk under a little throttle. May just be the Nature of the Beast.

3. The rear window in the convertible top is pretty cloudy. Need to look into the expense/hassle of replacing that.

If you can believe the dash readout, it was averaging a hair over 20MPG on the way home. Even allowing for the usually optimistic nature of on-board computers, it should be getting 18 or 19 which is much better than I expected. My truck won't do that.

Of course, I was driving like a little old lady because it's been a LONG time since I drove anything with a foot clutch, plus a Red Corvette is like poking the cops in the eye with a stick, and I'm more than a bit leery of those tires. I'll make an appointment to have my mechanic look it over and get him to shoot me a quote on some new rubber.
Those cars get very good fuel mileage. On the interstate at a moderate speed you may get well over 20, at least on flat Florida roads.

Dont know much about these .But generally speaking an uneven idle is not something problematic for a sports car. Or bike for that matter. Not many customers disappointed by that . As long as it moves when the foot step on it

Heavily tuned back in the day some ran very poor at low rpm Dont know why but they did
Almost hopping forward

Dont know much about these .But generally speaking an uneven idle is not something problematic for a sports car. Or bike for that matter. Not many customers disappointed by that . As long as it moves when the foot step on it

Heavily tuned back in the day some ran very poor at low rpm Dont know why but they did
Almost hopping forward
A high-lift, long duration cam will make for a VERY lumpy idle. At extremes, some won't idle at all below 2 or 3000 RPM. Makes a shit-ton of power at 6 or 8 grand tho.

That's racing/drag racing territory, or a hard-core pro-street guy.

Back