Upgrades while engines apart

Kathos

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So, Im starting to plan for my winter tear down and I've done some looking around getting ideas. This isnt my first engine rebuild but it will be my first xs650 rebuild. I was wondering what little xs650 upgrades I should do while I'm in there. I already know I would like to put Elephant feet in along with a higher overdrive but what do you guys like/wish to do while your engines are out?

The PO rebuilt this engine and did pistons, rings, valves etc but Id like to look over his work.

Yes, do look over his work. One guy's idea of a "rebuild" can vary greatly from anothers. The usual reason for pulling one of these down is the front cam chain guide. I would make sure that was replaced, along with the cam chain if the motor has 20K or more miles on it. If the last guy did valves, he should have replaced the valve guide seals, but check anyway. I'd also check the valves for leaks.

I like to clean the ports up with a Dremel while I'm into a topend. They're just plain terrible from the factory.

5twins gave you some very good suggestions.
I might add, very closely inspect the crank and rod bearings. New rods and bearings are easy to get. New crank bearings are a bit harder.
A rephase is an option, A 750 kit is an option. Both lessen the vibes.
I like the elephant foot adjusters. Make adjustment easier, holds adjustment better. The larger contact surfaces being flat won't wear like the stock adjusters do.
Leo

Back