Value is a good helmet and jacket

I just wanted to say I'm glad you had the right gear on. It has saved my friends and my own skin a few times over the years. Any possible damage that a helmet could cause in an accident is far outweighed by the benefits. I wear my thick, armored jacket no matter how hot it gets, and it gets up around 110 here in the summer. Your skin and life are worth a little discomfort any day. Glad to hear you'll be getting back on the horse ASAP.

DLD1

I'll start by saying good to hear you are not hurt bad and are healing well.
Some one mentioned ABATE. I have crashed at speeds if 135+ mph. A helmet save my life both times, but I still hate wearing one, The only reason I own one is that the law says I need one. ABATE is not about how a helmet can help you but about your right to choose.
Ok I'll stop this before it turns into a rant.
Leo

Some one mentioned ABATE. I have crashed at speeds if 135+ mph. A helmet save my life both times, but I still hate wearing one, The only reason I own one is that the law says I need one. ABATE is not about how a helmet can help you but about your right to choose.
Leo

Leo,
I agree that one should have the right to choose, except for one problem, at least here in California, anyway. If you choose not to wear one, spill your brains but don't die, when your insurance runs out my tax dollars support you. If you where allowed to wave that, I would say fine, but as long as you can't, I think it should be mandatory. Personally I wouldn't ride to the corner grocery store without it.

DLD1

Leo,
I agree that one should have the right to choose, except for one problem, at least here in California, anyway. If you choose not to wear one, spill your brains but don't die, when your insurance runs out my tax dollars support you. If you where allowed to wave that, I would say fine, but as long as you can't, I think it should be mandatory. Personally I wouldn't ride to the corner grocery store without it.

DLD1

I once heard it said, "It's the same distance from your head to the driveway as it is from your head to the freeway"
That was in response to someone's witty banter of only wearing a "lid" when they got on the big roads. I tend to agree. I broke my collarbone going 4-5 MPH and high-siding on a trolley track, so it ain't just when you're hauling ass.

Hey man just quoting what someone told me.... I figured since she's a surgeon at the mayo clinic she may know a thing or two about it... but who knows.

Again i'm just glad to hear this guy is alright

Me too, and like I said, no offense intended, but the surgeon I posted the link to did my follow-up and PT. He's done a number of motorcycle racers as well.

FWIW.

Glad to see you were both smart and lucky!

Leo

I prefer to wear one, but I absolutely agree on the legality issue. I object to 'compulsory safety' pretty much universally.

Leo,

DLD1

That argument is just such a slippery slope. If riding without a helmet is too much risk for your pocketbook, who is to say riding a motorcycle at all isn't too much risk for someone else's pocketbook? Why should the little old lady down the street have to pay since you take part in a 'risky' activity like motorcycling? I don't believe that, but you can bet someone else does!

glad you're ok lee, that sounds like a nasty pile up.
Wishing you a speedy recovery. Luckily your bike didn't get damaged too badly .

Hi everyone,

A couple of days ago I mentioned I would post some pictures of the helmet. Here they are including the jacket. The pictures do not do justice to the damage and how much they protected me from further harm.

Thanks for your encouragement to me and others on the value of good riding gear.

Hope to meet some of you soon,

Lee

Attachments

• IMG_20130129_164232.jpg
    IMG_20130129_164232.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20130129_164245.jpg
    IMG_20130129_164245.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_20130129_164256.jpg
    IMG_20130129_164256.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20130129_164306.jpg
    IMG_20130129_164306.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_20130129_164315.jpg
    IMG_20130129_164315.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_20130129_164331.jpg
    IMG_20130129_164331.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_20130129_164340.jpg
    IMG_20130129_164340.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_20130129_164411.jpg
    IMG_20130129_164411.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_20130129_164435.jpg
    IMG_20130129_164435.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_20130129_164446.jpg
    IMG_20130129_164446.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_20130129_164455.jpg
    IMG_20130129_164455.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 141
Glad you are not road kill. A few years ago a friend of mine was not so lucky. The rear catching the front was most likely from rear wheel lock lock up. Over braking is common during a panic stop. One should practice panic stops before they happen. That is one of things I do. You need to know how before it happens. A safe distance from the vehickle in front of you also helps. But you know this now. Not that I haven't spent some long stays in the hospital behind motorcycle accidents. Shit happens not all can be avoided. Hope you have a speedy recovery. :thumbsup:

I prefer to wear one, but I absolutely agree on the legality issue. I object to 'compulsory safety' pretty much universally.

That argument is just such a slippery slope. If riding without a helmet is too much risk for your pocketbook, who is to say riding a motorcycle at all isn't too much risk for someone else's pocketbook? Why should the little old lady down the street have to pay since you take part in a 'risky' activity like motorcycling? I don't believe that, but you can bet someone else does!

Marvelicious,
You do make a good point. If the little old lady down the street decided to do something "risky", like walk on an icy sidewalk, fell down and broke her hip, when her insurance ran out everyone would be willing to pay for her medical bills, wouldn't they? I think my stand has been adjusted. I've always thought it should be your choice, except for the caveat I mentioned. Thanks for making me re-think that one. I still personally wouldn't go anywhere without it.

DLD1

Marvelicious,
You do make a good point. If the little old lady down the street decided to do something "risky", like walk on an icy sidewalk, fell down and broke her hip, when her insurance ran out everyone would be willing to pay for her medical bills, wouldn't they? I think my stand has been adjusted. I've always thought it should be your choice, except for the caveat I mentioned. Thanks for making me re-think that one. I still personally wouldn't go anywhere without it.

DLD1

Missed your response until now... Glad to see you reconsider. It speaks well of you that you are able to see both sides of an issue. Having a position is fine, but when people get so invested in things that they refuse to see the other side, we have problems. Exhibit A: Washington DC - both sides of the isle!

People assume that argument against helmet laws always comes from someone who just doesn't want to wear a helmet. For my part, I burned a hole in one of my ear drums at one point, so my balance occasionally gets a bit iffy for a second - at that point, a helmet just seems prudent! That and the existence of cats, dogs, deer, children, oil spots, cars, etc. etc... What anyone else chooses to do is between them and their cranium as far as I'm concerned!

I agree about Washington. I remember when I was a kid back in the 60s, the politicians would fight during the campaigns, but then get together and at least try to find compromises. Now, all they do is try to stop each other from accomplishing anything, while the country goes to hell, and they get to keep all their perks!

Happy riding,

DLD1

I was talking to a guy the other day and he said he gave up motorcycling 20 yrs ago because his friend ran into a truck stopped just over the crest of a hill. He said two or three times there's nothing his friend could have done to prevent it, so he gave up riding himself.

I saw no need to tell him that in fact there was something he could have done to prevent it, namely not outrun his sight distance. Likewise, there's no need to follow closer than your stopping distance! Get well soon.

There are a few scenarios, but few, that I've seen that might have been unpreventable. One was a woman on the interstate and a car blew a tire and came into her lane sideways right in front of her. Short of something like that there are lots of things you can do to help you stay in one piece. Somebody mentioned somebody getting t-boned but I slow down at intersections where I don't have good sight in both directions. Right of way doesn't matter.

Just because its legal doesnt make it right..

Just because its illegal doesnt make it wrong..

Think about your family and friends when making decisions.

Everyone wants to live until they die. No one wants to die before they live.

I LOVE survival stories.

Live long and prosper.

My best to Everyone !

Very happy you are safe.

Im biased towards helmets. I have really bad hair though.

.....hi guys ,,,,,,,,, look i,m sorry if i upset somebodyin this ,,,,but in australia helmets are compulsory,,,i and i believe that they have SAVED LIVES,, and i have also seen the result of not wearing a helmet when the rider hit a car a warburton highway warburton with no helmet ,he ended up in a bad way ambulance /hospitalall combined weeks later he still walks with a limp and a buggered right arm when it was dragged under the car,,, regards oldbiker

I'm certainly not arguing that helmets don't save lives, what I'm arguing against are laws that tell us that a behavior is illegal because it is 'unsafe'. Accepting that logic puts us all in Volvos eventually. It sounds to me like your rider without the helmet would be in bad shape with a helmet as well. Helmets don't save you from being dragged under a car!

Back