Wanted - Valve guide installation removal tool

weekendrider

Iron Horse cowboy
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I'd to beg, borrow, steal or buy a valve guide installation/removal tool.
If you have one you have no further use of maybe instead of it gathering dust you could to send it my way?
I do not want one that been abused. I do not care to purchase from Mikes so telling me he has one or linking me to his would be a waste of time.

Thanks
weekendrider

Just a question are you putting bigger guides in? Plus the ones I have owned are good ONCE and I throw them away. The price of them is under $10.00 and that's what you are getting a $10.00 tool. Are you going to heat head to get them out or just try and beat them out. There is really nothing to the tool and a new one would be my first choice.

DaddyG I was planning on heating to 100 degrees for removal, then heating the head and freezing the guide for installation. Do you foresee any problems?
Thanks for the tip about them being disposable 1 time use tools. So if you were going to do all four you would want four tools?
I was planning to go all stock sizing replacing guide and valve. Mikes is the only source for these apparently. I've tried to track down a Yamaha tool but no luck so far.

I have done many in my time and not in every case but some times more material comes out then you want and you are forced to put a bigger size in. Heating head is good but don't touch up the holes with a file after they are out. I had a buddy do that with a Harley head and after it was all together and run the guide moved up. If your motor has good guides in it I would leave it alone for a stock motor but if you really want to do it then its a learning experience on your part. I have got to the point on some of my heads for larger bikes that I just drop them off at the machine shop get the valve seats cut over with the valves and if damaged change out the guides. The days of putting the head in the oven and hearing my wife complain are over HAHA.
So good luck on the kitchen metal meal and make sure no oil is in that head anywhere or smoke alarms will be going off LOL Done it in my stupid years . Forgot to answer your question one tool is fine.

Back