Valve seal replacement

rusty rocket

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Has anybody used the tip on 650 centrals site? It says a guy can replace the valve seals without taking the head off the bike. My motor is already out of the frame so thats half the battle but i dont want to have to take the head off if I dont have to. Any tips to doing this? sorry this post should be in the garage.

Last edited:
Dont know but back in the day when I used to work on v8's we would get a adapter to fit a spark plug hole and use compressor and keep pressure on the valves to keep them from falling in the head and change them that way. I forget how we compressed the valve springs to remove the retainers and then the old valve seals. But Im sure someone can elaborate on it.

I have done it. It is slow and tedious and takes a little finesse. There is a really good how-to on the internet somewhere, not sure if that's the 650 Central one that you referred to.
Why do you think you need to do it? I don't like opening up engines, but if you are going to do all 4, and the engine is already out, I think it would be faster to take the head off.

its so easy with the head off and a 30 dollar tool. give ya a good chance to clean up the seats and carbon while in there too. hell maybe even cam chain and guide if its in question.

I have good compression but the motor burns oil and smokes bad. When I bought the bike it only had 8000 miles on it and had sit for years I know the seals are hard as rocks. I just didnt want to break the cam chain is why I was asking.

Its really not a hard job at all to take the head off. If the bike has been sitting you should check the valve to valve guides anyway. check the valve edge and seat. It's really not a ton of money even if you need guides and cut the seats.

And you don't have to break the chain to get the head off.

Just take the bearings off the ends of the cam and it will drop down far enough to slip the intact chain over the sprocket.

It would be a very cold day in hell before I would go through that process just to change valve seals. If I tried I can hear the cussin now :wtf::banghead::doh::mad::wtf:
I do wish you lots of luck though.

Back