Valve spring top and bottom side?

Eckl

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just finished putting my top end back together only to read on a post that the valve springs have a top and bottom?

Anyone ever accidentally run one upside down? Really not looking forward to reversing all my work...... :doh:

It's possible, If you look at the springs on one end the coils are closer together. I think the tighter coiled end is the bottom. Some one with more knowledge will clarify that.
It is possible to change the springs with out pulling the head. Open the valve adjuster covers. Roll the engine around to where on side is coming up on compression. With th spark plug out, both valves closed, feed 1/4 inch rope into the cylinder. Now slowly bring the piston up till the rope is pushed up against the valves.
Now remove the adjuster screws to gain some room. nowwith a pry bar with a hole in it big enough so the valve keepers can come through, lever the collar down, remove keepers, release the pry bar. Now lift off springs, check, install the right side up. Pry the cllar down, install keepers. Move on to the next spring.
I'm not sure it would make much difference which way is up. With the tighter coils on the bottom it moves that much weight away from the movement of the rocker and valve. The less moving mass the better the valves work.

if you check your manaul it says the spring windings should go a certain way as viewed from the top - i guess thats how they define top from bottom...

It may be tricky to do it this way but it's better than tearing the engine down.

Back