Vapor Blasting

hogtyed

Paul
Reaction score
Has anyone vapor blasted their cases? I’ve soaked my cases for two days in my parts washer, and I still can’t get the grime off in many places. There’s a local guy that does this and aluminum parts come out looking like brand new. I have a soda blaster that I have used on carbs, but the cases are too big of a project for it. I’m thinking that as long as I don’t have him blast the internals, it should be fine.

Yes I have had several cases vapor blasted and the cases do come out nice. I have been experimenting with stainless steel media and have done my last set of cases with good results. If you have someone close i would go for it. Just remember to have him plug all oil passages and avoid the internal surfaces and the clean them very well when you get them back. Take a look at this thread for info on my stainless steel method
http://www.xs650.com/threads/to-blast-or-not-to-blast.51476/#post-540428

Vapor blasting, aqua blasting, dustless blasting or wet blasting, not sure what getting into semantics has to do with the question.

Vapor blasting, aqua blasting, dustless blasting or wet blasting, not sure what getting into semantics has to do with the question.
guess it just sounds confusing to some. Not sure why it's not just called wet blasting.

I was looking around and it sure confused me, (that's not hard). Found this guy and rang him and had a yarn. Seems he uses 2 processes to get a finish that is claimed does not stain with oil.......just wipe it off leaves no residue, and doesn't oxidize due to his process.

Low pressure Wet Blasting, that is used to clean inside and out

https://www.wetblasting.net/

With vapor blasting they normally use a glass bead in a water slurry. Never have heard of any using baking soda

HAPPY DAN does this (vapor blasting). Does a hell of a job building motors too. Under XS650 fest and chop 2018. This is Dan.

I've personally done my bike (not an XS, but an old honda I built last year). A local shop allows people to come in a "rent" their vapor blast cabinet on site... it's definitely a process...but boy does it work. It's a glass bead slurry with high pressure warm water. Works like magic and literally removes everything and makes it look like new. It easily removed the yellowed clear-coat, baked on grime, stains, bits of gasket that wouldn't come off, etc...

Other than it's very time intensive, and it needs to be cleaned thoroughly afterwards, I wouldn't think twice about doing it...Note: I've only done it on a fully disassembled engine...case halves, side covers, head, etc. (Which allowed me the time to take things apart and do it in "batches").

I don't think it would be a big deal to do it to a complete engine but caution that if any bit of the slurry gets past the intake/exhaust/breather holes, etc...it would require a total tear down, simply because that stuff needs to be cleaned out and you don't want it in your engine...I'd probably make some cover plates for every access point so you know for sure there's not a chance it can get in there.

Good luck!

Has anyone vapor blasted their cases? I’ve soaked my cases for two days in my parts washer, and I still can’t get the grime off in many places. There’s a local guy that does this and aluminum parts come out looking like brand new. I have a soda blaster that I have used on carbs, but the cases are too big of a project for it. I’m thinking that as long as I don’t have him blast the internals, it should be fine.
I just wetblast my engine a month ago, work good to me

Attachments

• 82E85A07-440D-441E-AAC3-C71781E9F209.jpeg
    82E85A07-440D-441E-AAC3-C71781E9F209.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 210
Back