VHT, PJ1, Duplicolor engine case paint

teamkandy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been searching for the last few days on engine case paint. I am wanting to paint my motor while it is out of the frame. I read that PJ1 was the better choice so I went to http://www.pj1.com website and there is a link for VHT on there home screen. I read on the forum somewhere that VHT and Duplicolor were made by Sherwinwilliams. So I am thinking why not just use VHT is easier to get my hands on locally than PJ1.

My questiones are.
1. Is PJ1, Duplicolor, and VHT all made by the same company?
2. Has anyone cured any of these paints with an IR light?

Thanks

Here's what I can tell ya. I did one engine with VHT, it has held up well but was kinda a pain to do. The paint is extremely fragile until cured. I made a box out of insulated foam board and used a heat gun to do several bakes at @ 300d. Warning its still not gasoline resistant.
Right now I'm doing a engine and trying duplicolor engine enamel,goes on better but don't know final results yet.
The VHT and duplicolor both have the same company address on the cans.

I've had pretty good luck with VHT and Duplicolor. Used Duplicolor BCP102 Caliper Black on my barrels (and real pain to mask), VHT SP127 Univ. Aluminum on the upper crankcase, and VHT SP29 Motor Brite Clear Engine Enamel on the cylinder head and lower crankcase.

Previous to all this, I glass blasted the head, barrels, and lower crankcase. The upper crankcase was in pretty good shape so I just scotch-brited it before painting.

All in all, it worked out pretty well except that the clear on the cylinder head darkened a bit after running the motor. If I had to do it again, I would have painted it with VHT SP995 Nu-Castâ„¢ Aluminum and it would have stayed more like the factory cast shade. Plus I wouldn't have had to clean the head as good before painting.

Didn't bother baking it while the motor was out of the bike, just made sure to be real careful handling the motor. Baked the paints by running the engine in the frame for about 15 minutes, letting it cool down completely and running it again for another 15 minutes. You could really smell the paint baking for the first few days but it hardened nicely and appears to be fuel resistant.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 1,042
  • after paint.jpg
    after paint.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 2,017
  • motor polished.jpg
    motor polished.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,229
You need to do a thorough search. I have gone through this before. Its really not the paint, as you don't need heat paint on an engine. Its about prep, cleanliness and applying it correctly.

i used duplicolor paint, and it has a nice satin finish, but dont ever clean it with carb cleaner. takes it right off.

Back