Vibration in the handlebars on hardtails?

bigpup

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Anyone else get some wicked bad vibrations in the handlebars above 55mph? I'm not running a stock front-end so I don't have all the rubber on the trees reducing the bad vibes. Any helpful solutions?

I have #10 flattrack bars on my '77D. I used a vinyl tube cut to length so it would fit inside the bar. I blocked and sealed one end and filled the tube with #12 lead shot. I then blocked and sealed this end. I lubed up the bars and tube and forced the heavy tube into the bars until it hit the left grip. The fit is tight enough that I have had no problem with the tube coming out and fouling the throttle grip. Not perfectly smooth but as close as I am going to get.

The lead shot might be difficult to find for most guys so use dry sand or BB's. You can also fill the bar and forget about the tube.

Tom Graham

My '83 stock bike was crazy , white knuckle vibed @ 55. Enough to make you grit your teeth and wish for a sixth gear.
8-1 compression (thank you xsjohn), 17/30 gearing and some old ,weighted end bars from a '72(?) have made all the difference in the ride. 3500rpm @60 mph. Pretty is as pretty does.

Edit- missed the 'on hardtails' on the heading. I'm still soft tailed.

Last edited:
yea, I'm currently in a battle against excessive vibration. I already run 17/30 gearing, i'm going to add more rubber under the cafe seat and I purchased a set of barend weights for my clip on's... the next stop is better grips... hopefully that will make it managable.

1 - did you keep all your motor mounts. I've noticed a lot of hardtailers take the top one out.
2 - have you balanced your carbs.

I get no more vibration above 4k than i have at 4k. After fixing broken motor mount bolts and balancing the carbs, that is. Heh.

#12 lead shot....The lead shot might be difficult to find for most guys...
Tom Graham

I think most gun stores would have it, for reloading shotgun shells. It used to come in cloth bags about the size of a sock.

all motor mounts are there and secure. I'll try filling the handlebars. Thanks for the input guy's I appreciate it.

Back