VIN number doesn't match

skidmark760

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I bought a xs and the guy had the title not in his name and last registered in 1992 to a lady in hemet,ca. He told me he bought it from a motorcycle junk yard in LA where he was from. I just double checked the vehicle ID number and on the title it starts with 5VA but on the neck it is stamped 5V4. Could this have been a typo sometime back in the day or am I shit outta luck?. The rest of the numbers match and even the plates he gave me match the number on the title paper. I'm about a week away from dumpin some money into this thing and really don't wanna break the bank if this bike isnt what I thought it was. Help asap!!:yikes:

Has anybody had this problem? And will this make my title void or just more of a pain in the ass to transfer and register? I also don't have a bill of sale. Do you think itll be easier to just act like I never had the title and and try to start from scratch to get this bike legal?

That's a question for your DMV. Everyone has an opinion, but the DMV has the final say. My story: My bike had a clean title, VIN matched the plate on the neck, it is all legal. But, they made me go thru ATU (Auto Theft Unit), run by the state police, because the VIN was not stamped into the neck, even though the plate was fine. Well, they are jack asses, 'cuz they didn't start stamping all 17 characters in the neck until 1982. I had to waste 2 full days and wait a week to accomplish this. Your dealling with people.

I would try my damndest to get a bill of sale atleast. And run the VIN prior to see if it has a salvage title or stolen, ect. Don't put a freaking penny into it until you get a title. If you have no title you can get one from certain companies, but still don't put a penny until it is all legal and in your name!!!!

+1 you could transfer it as is but that just moves the problem down the road. When you go to sell or if a cop ever checks........... So try to get it corrected. From what other members have told me California is not too bad on starting over on titles but a correction SHOULD be the easiest and best way to go. Good luck and tell us how it turns out?

i got one with no title, just bill of sale but found the previous reg under the seat from 1985. the registration number was missing a 0 from the neck vin, i used the number from the old reg instead of the frame vin. since it was previously registered in my state i didnt need inspection/vin verification. CT rules for old vehicles, no titles needed before 1981

you will probably have to go through vin verify. pretty sure you will need a bill of sale though, you should call the dude up and get one, of forge his signature.

Well I don't have contact with the guy anymore and since the bike was never in his name in the first place would it matter if I just made up a bill of sale saying I bought it from my uncle or something. How long do stolen reports stay in the system anyways?. And do all you guys title, register and vin check before building on the bike? All this paperwork stuffs got me real sketched out now when I thought I was buying the right bike cause he had the title even know it wasn't in his name. Im just really hoping this thing isn't stolen, that's my main concern but it doesn't seem like it should be since he has the title...help

I think you need to go to the dmv and be straight up about it and see what they say. First thing. If the only difference is the 4 and the A it's obviously a typo and they'll take it from there. Don't try to be crafty about it.

I think you need to go to the dmv and be straight up about it and see what they say. First thing. If the only difference is the 4 and the A it's obviously a typo and they'll take it from there. Don't try to be crafty about it.

I agree! Also, it's the last 6 or 7 numbers that actually identify your vehicle-- the first few numbers could be on a thousand different XS650s.

I don't think stolen VINs are forever, at least some states only keep them in for about 3 years. One of the members here set up a registry at least partially for that reason.

Back