Vin Number Help!!!SOS

aztecdavid

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 1972 - I live in CA and brought the bike to the CHP as part of the registration process. They have since taken the bike claiming that it looks like the Vin Numbers have been tampered with. The one on the neck was sanded a bit but still readable the one on the engine they are saying it look like it is fake.

FYI this bike was converted to a bobber style

Does anyone know if the one on the engine was machine or hand stamped and if so any proof to back this up would help!!

Here you go. hope this helps.

vins 016.jpg

vins 017.JPG

vins 018.JPG

vins 019.JPG

vins 020.JPG

vins 021.JPG

A few more

vins 022.jpg

vins 023.JPG

vins 024.jpg

vins 026.jpg

vins 027.JPG

vins 028.JPG

Let me know if you need to see some necks.

These are all XS650 engine #s The ones starting with S650 are 70 to 73 numbers

Wow I wonder if aztecdave was ever able to get this straightened out?

And after all that not a peep, Sheesh it was such a "big hoo ha" but not worth replying to the help he got, FHm.

Amazing, in less than an hour and a half, you posted-up no less than a dozen pics of typical factory VIN stampings! If nobody else will, I'll say "Thanx gggGary!". Personally, I've always wondered about the VIN stampings on the XS series. Seen both 'machine' and 'hand' stampings in the past, including some 'homemade' versions. Part of the training...

To ggggary I appreciate all the pics thank you so much it's been a nightmare with chp and my bike I finally got my bike back yesterday thanks to your pics, I was not ignoring your pics just busy at the police station trying to prove this bike was not stolen!! Thank you all you xs650forum members for all your help!!!

Thanks for that aztecdavid! It sure helps to hear how things turn out. :thumbsup:
I "might" have been pot stirring a bit. :wink2:

It does get a bit aggravating when you try to help and get no response. Some people do have issues that slow the response but others just disappear.
We like to help, we also like to hear our help actually helped.
Thanks for your response.
Leo

Back