VM34's - who's fitted extra carb support?

Shakey

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm running VM34's with K&Ns on my street tracker build and was wondering about extra support - maybe a frame tab to carry a through-bolt across the back of each carb body where there is a moulded mounting point.
Any of you guys already gone down this route?
I used to have them ziptied to the frame downtube before the rebuild but would like to go for something more substantial.

Goran made one of these, pretty slick:

2007-10-21Engine04.jpg

Thats nice but isn't giving any more support to the carbs. I've thought about this for when I eventually run Miks, I'm thinking the op is concerned with manifold tearing?

My idea is to fit a spring of moderate tension between the carb set and the top frame tube. This would keep a slight constant upward pressure on the carb set and also have some "give" for all the shaking around these bikes do. I don't think hard mounting the carb set to the frame somehow would be a good idea.

Some sort of spring set up would be interesting. Why might hard-mounting be a prblem do you think??

JBM carb holders need no extra support. I have also used stock holders with no support and never once had a problem.

just fabbed this up. I figure it'll be a while till I repaint/coat the frame so might as well give myself the option
IMG_0636 Resized.jpg
IMG_0637 Resized.jpg
IMG_0638 Resized.jpg

Some sort of spring set up would be interesting. Why might hard-mounting be a prblem do you think??

Hard mounting might cause the carbs to crack due to the vibration. You might want some sort of rubber bushing or grommet around your bolts.

Also, like someone else noted, no one has had any problems with JBM carb mounts.

Guys, I'm sorry to tell ya that JBM boots aren't a fit for VM34's (though the BS34 version will hang VM36 carbs nicely). My TM36/68 pumpers weigh about the same as OE vacuum carbs, and after two seasons of use, the JBM mounts showed cracks inside running all the way around the spigot stops--which is exactly what one would expect, due to the lack of metal shrouds. JBM mounts will probably last next to forever with light carburetors like VM's, but they're not up to the job of supporting the heavy OE carb sets over the long haul.

Back