Voltage issue

Milk_Jesus

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm guessing I need a new regulator, but I wired the bike up mostly today (80 engine, new pamco, banshee pma swap, kick only, sparx capacitor instead of battery) and I was only getting 4 volts from the cap. Am I correct in assuming bad regulator?

I'm guessing I need a new regulator, but I wired the bike up mostly today (80 engine, new pamco, banshee pma swap, kick only, sparx capacitor instead of battery) and I was only getting 4 volts from the cap. Am I correct in assuming bad regulator?

Go back over your wiring to double check that its wired correctly. All ground connections need to be done to bare metal.

The rec/reg should have a warranty from the seller.

On the stator there are three wires the same color. These wires put out an AC voltage. With your bike running check the AC voltage on these wires. Number them 1,2 and 3, check from 1-2, 2-3 and 1-3. All should read the same.
Report back your findings. Both with the reg/rec plugged in and without.
You may need to hook the ignition to a spare battery for this,
Leo

On the stator there are three wires the same color. These wires put out an AC voltage. With your bike running check the AC voltage on these wires. Number them 1,2 and 3, check from 1-2, 2-3 and 1-3. All should read the same.
Report back your findings. Both with the reg/rec plugged in and without.
You may need to hook the ignition to a spare battery for this,
Leo

The regulator I'm using is from a honda vf500 (Hughs handbuilt said this one could be used with the PMA swap) and after we could only get the 4 volts from the cap, my friend "ohm'd out" the regulator. I know nothing about this process, but they kept saying that it seems to be a bad reg.

Luckily, there is a shop down the street from their shop that's open today that carries an assortment of regulators. I need to know what SPECIFICS about what regulator I can use. From what I understand it has to be a 3 phase reg with an 8 wire system. Correct?

That is covered in the installation instructions. Please read them. The writing on the PC board is wrong, but the wire color is correct. This only applies to the first batch of PC boards.

That is covered in the installation instructions. Please read them. The writing on the PC board is wrong, but the wire color is correct. This only applies to the first batch of PC boards.

Are those instructions online anywhere? Because they somehow aren't in my paper work and i keep it all in the same place so I have no idea where it could have gone.

Also, if the wiring isn't my problem, anybody know why I'm not getting any spark? Once I replaced the regulator, I was getting it up to 11+ volts after a couple kicks. Once we attach the coil and then a spark plug, nothing.

Milk....,

The installation instructions are on line at www.yamahaxs650.com There should have been a note in the box from MikesXS directing you to the site, or if you bought from me, I would have sent you an Email when I confirmed your order was shipped.

Try connecting the PAMCO red wire to the E-Advancer and the coil to a separate battery sitting on the floor. This will do two things. Verify that the PAMCO is working or not and if the engine starts, you can troubleshoot the PMA and regulator.

Milk....,

The installation instructions are on line at www.yamahaxs650.com There should have been a note in the box from MikesXS directing you to the site, or if you bought from me, I would have sent you an Email when I confirmed your order was shipped.

Try connecting the PAMCO red wire to the E-Advancer and the coil to a separate battery sitting on the floor. This will do two things. Verify that the PAMCO is working or not and if the engine starts, you can troubleshoot the PMA and regulator.

Ok and that will tell me if any of the tests we've done so far have already ruined the pamco? From what I've said we've tried, does it sound like it's already done for?

Milk...,

Have you tried my suggestion and connected the PAMCO and the coil to a fully charged battery sitting on the floor not associated with the bikes electrical system?

Milk...,

Have you tried my suggestion and connected the PAMCO and the coil to a fully charged battery sitting on the floor not associated with the bikes electrical system?

No not yet. My friends shop (where my bike is now) is an hour away and I'll be gone until next Monday now so it's goin to have to wait until then. I ordered a new ultimate cool from mikesxs this morning because we were using a harley coil yesterday.

Milk...,

OK. We have had very few out of box failures. I am trying to get you to separate the PAMCO from the PMA as the PMA can sometimes cause the ignition to malfunction by not producing the correct voltage, especially in a capacitor setup. So, we will know more once you get a chance to run the PAMCO and the coil from an independent battery.

I just wanted to say that on the reg/rec it only needs 5 wires, the three from the stator, a positive to battery positive and a negative to ground. Some bikes use more wires, but Why isn't known to me.
On ohming the reg/rec you can only test the rectifier half. You test by checking the ohms through all 6 diodes both ways, forward and reverse. The ohms on a diode should be at least ten times the ohms one sway as the other. Most good diodes are very much over this. Often like 75 ohms one way and infinity the other.
Your repair manual outlines the test procedures on the stock reg/rec. A PMA reg/rec is very similar.
Leo

Back