Voltage regulator

acepatt

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Looking for a suggestion on a universal regulator/rectifier to work with a stock generator. The ones I found on line have bad reviews or dont seem work with stock systems.

Yes, these charging systems require both a regulator and a rectifier. But, the VR115 may not be the regulator you need. It depends on the year of your charging system. 650s up to '79 can use the VR115. In 1980, the way the brushes were wired was changed and a different regulator is required. The rectifier needed is the same for all models.

VRREM7-XS for Yamaha 650 twins that originally came with a separate
regulator and rectifier

This unit requires a plugs into the original regulator and rectifier connectors on the wiring
harness but requires custom mounting. The leads are 10" long giving you plenty of options as to
where to mount it.

$145.00
VRREM7-YXS

http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/Reg_rec_units.html

Come on 5twins, RG, why haven't you picked up on the OEM Boats.net statement that a Combined Reg/Rect will work on models that don't have the combined Reg/Rect.

Very quick to point this out in other threads and dissing Mikes and Chinese parts sellers for making false statements

Come on 5twins, RG, why haven't you picked up on the OEM Boats.net statement that a Combined Reg/Rect will work on models that don't have the combined Reg/Rect.

Very quick to point this out in other threads and dissing Mikes and Chinese parts sellers for making false statements

Unfortunately, I missed the year of his bike. I assumed he had a combined unit as he stated reg/reg and he also posted on the Facebook page with "electronic ignition".

Not you fault littlebill31 its the Yamaha parts Suppliers who cross reference part no's for sales purposes.....................These guys are supposed to be the experts.............if they are getting it wrong then how can a novice be expected to get the right part right.......................... For those guys who do know what they are talking about, they should be dissing these Yamaha part suppliers for giving the wrong information..............But they don't, they actually use these, and suggest these guys for references....................I have been all over this problem every time i have sen these guys linked to..................

Back