Want to relace front wheel, need info on vintage rims

Ebola Monkey

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, first post, been lurking for a while.

This is specifically for an xs400, but I'm sure you guys will be able to answer this.

I want to relace my wifes front hub to a 2.15x18 rim. Stock is 1.60x18. The reason is the much better selection of tires on the wider rim, and the fact that I already have a tire, and tube that'll fit the wider rim.

Can I use any 70's-80's 36 spoke Japanese rim?

Can I simply reuse my spokes/nipples?

Anyone have a 2.15x18 chrome rim for sale?

Anything I should watch out for?

Etc?

Thanks In Advance!

Yeah, it should fit between the forks. Front fender width should be good, tire height maybe not, but if not I'll go without.

I'm assuming most 18" rims of the same vintage will work, but we all know what happens when we assume.

On a side note.. bought an 80 xs650 tonight, so I'm now an xs650 owner too.

I ended up lacing a 2.15x18 Chrome Yamaha rim to the stock hub, and spokes.

It took a long time, but that was mostly polishing the hub, and brake, and cleaning up the old spokes.

I don't have a truing stand, so I trued it on the bike, on a lift. Clamped a piece of 2" square tube to the forks, and mounted the dial indicator to it. Got it within .010" of true, and .035" on runout. I would have liked to get it to .010" on runout too, but I just couldn't get it there. The rim was off of a 75 so it could have been out a little.

All in all not a bad project, and one I wouldn't hesitate to do again.

The new 100/90-18 seems HUGE compared to the old 3.00x18. It's a little more than 3/4" wider. Fills the fender nicely I think.

Also rode it for a while today, and the bike rides much better.

tires.jpg

Now on to the 650!!

Back