Welding Hardtail

rubicon1000

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just picked up a new eastwood 135 welder and tank and about to weld my tc bros hardtail to frame what are the wire sizes are people useing. also what are they useing sheilded gas or flux core? thanks

No offense.... But I don't think you should be welding on a hardtail if you don't know that much about welding. Maybe practice on some mounts and tabs but get a qualified welder to do the rear section, at 60mph you don't want those welds to fail...

My 0.02 ....

Try It and see how it works for ya,do some test welds,I have a miller 175 and it likes .035.I seem to get better welds with it plus i think the heavier the wire the less prone it is to rat nest in the drive if the wire hangs up in the tip.Once that happens it can cause problems with the welder so keep the tip and cone clean to avoid this

I use to weld some years back on heavy lifting equipment im just looking for advice on frame welding thanks

I used to fly airplanes, but I wouldn't go out now without an instructor along to keep me from doing stupids.

Wow alot of smart a@@ on here today thought I would get some better tips people have been welding frames for years you dont need to be a big name company or 20 year pro to weld a hardtail grow so balls.

Wow alot of smart a@@ on here today thought I would get some better tips people have been welding frames for years you dont need to be a big name company or 20 year pro to weld a hardtail grow so balls.
Gary was the only smart ass reply I seen? But let me be the other, you said grow some balls?
I hope "you" can really do that because when that hardtail comes off your balls are going to be the first thing the pavement takes away :laugh: Gas or flux core? What size wire? your welding this on with a 135amp welder? Thats why people are concerned for you. You may think I'm a jerk (and I am) but really there is no shame in having a pro weld it on for you for safety sake. You did'nt build the hardtail you bought it so what difference does it make, we really are just looking out for your safety :shrug:

Upon a quick look at the instructions for your welder, it looks like you should be using .035 flux core with a starting setting of G3. The thickest they recommend welding with .025 solid wire would be 12 gauge with 75/25 Argon/CO2 mix. Practice with lots of test welds first. Cut them and break them to ensure proper penetration.

Kent

Sorry but let me be the third......

To come on here and ask about welding the hardtail on (most important part on the bike) and ask what size wire to use, puts a bad taste in peoples mouths right off the get go. Also, welding heavy equipment is great, even though I have my doubts that you were using a 135 mig with .023 wire. I have been welding for years myself... I still had a veteran do the hardtail for me just for safety sakes.

"Growing some balls"... what you choose to do with you life is of no concern to me. This doesn't mean that you should put others in risk just because you think this way. Just my .02

What was smart ass about my reply? That is straight up truth. I still hold a valid pilot's license but my skills are rusty, I wouldn't fly alone because those skills are dormant and would take 20 or 30 hours of work to reawaken. That's ME. You take from it what you want. Yeah go weld on the hard tail, it really isn't subject to catastrophic failure, odds are very good IF your welds aren't good, you are going to know about it long before it folds up like a cheap tent. The hint is practice on less critical items before the hard tail. Weld up an engine stand. There are plans on here and that would make a good refresher course.

I agree with these guys that are telling you to have it done by someone who knows his equipment and uses it daily. A 135 welder is at the bottom of the line for penetration capabilities. I don't think you want to risk your life for the sake of saying "I did it myself".
My 2 cents...

I'll just say straight out that you're acting like a fucking idiot.

If you had dick-all experience with a welder you wouldn't need to be asking these VERY basic questions and then get your panties in a twist when guys that obviously know a fuck-ton more than you suggest that you not be a total moron.

You should really use .023 and go gasless. That would be super sweet!!! (That was sarcasm, if you didn't catch it.)

OK, I've been MIG welding a long time. I can gas weld, arc weld and MIG weld. I have been teaching welding in classes for some time. I however, do not have my certification. I just want to clarify. Now on to the situation at hand.
MIG welding is the easist welding to learn, gas welding being the most difficult IMO. You do need to practice, and not on your frame. You could get an old frame from the junk yard or such, but you need some type of tube. I like to use .025 wire on about everything. Even the pocket MIGs can weld up to 3/16" and with beveling, you can go thicker. You will have no problem MIG welding tube with your welder. It is all about the heat settings and the wire feed. Heat settings aren't too bad to figure out. Your welder prpbably have 4 or 6 heat settings.The second setting is probably about right for you. The wire feed is the trickiest and makes the most difference. So you will have to experiment until the welding sounds like cooking bacon. I nice even sizzle. Come back and ask more after you have tried.

First off let me just say I am a welder by trade,I am not only certified but actually hold a degree in the field.The info you are asking for is:
1) Your 135 PEAK amperage welder isnt sufficient enough to get the penetration you need.
solution: multi pass. a root pass then TWO passes over the top of the root pass.tip your gun so that you are pushing the weld not pulling it.
2)Wire size,.023 is for sheet metal 14 guage max..030 is generic all around filler size (Ideal for you)...035 is for medium duty,example overlap on 1/4" or lighter.Doubt your little 135 will even accept it.Flux core BAD BAD BAD if you dont know exactly what you are doing and how NOT to get slag inclusions in your bead you may as well make out a will before you do any more work on your little motorcycle.
3)You sit right over where you are doing the connection,the center of the bike,the point of most probable flex.
4) If you dont have money,which is fine,go to your local Jr. college.Take the basic 8 week program and do the welding there where they have machines made to do structural work.Your welder is for things like cracks in fenders body patch panels etc etc not frame work or anything structural for that matter.

"Grow some balls"?.Dont ride anywhere near me or my family.

Last edited:
dude come on....it is no where near the same as jb weld.
with that said, it only costs like 100 bucks to have the same place you bought the hardtail from weld it on.

Well now. . . . I will agree that .030 is the specified wire for thicker metal. However, I carefully said I LIKE to use .025 :) This is a personal preference and I like to bevel thick metal when welding. However, the amperage of his machine is fine I believe. I always use the fact that you need 1 amp for each .001 of metal being welded. Most tubing is between .100 and .125 inches think. Using my amerage rule . . unless this tubing is expecially thick, he is fine. And again, if using the beveling technique, he can go thicker if need be done.

Back