Welding Hardtail

I don't think these responses are to deter the "do it yourself" or even to say that is "HAS" to be done by a professional.

Now... Hugh and others are right. Can it be done? Yes. That is "IF" you know what you are doing. Its all about penetration... I have seen little welders do a great job at stuff like this, and I have seen $1000+ welders do a shit job due to the operator.

I think the factor here is the way the questions were brought up. Jumping in and asking what appear to be newbie questions, give off the "I'm new to this".

Practice, practice, and practice is great, assuming that you are doing it right in the first place. There will always be a debate about topics like this no matter what is said....
Hooligans is right on here :agree: And on another note everyone has to start somewhere and there is satisfaction in "doing it yourself" :thumbsup: All the hoopla is really about what he wanted to start on! I for one could have been more tacktfull in my reply but the OP thought it was an insult to tell him to practice on something else first and told us to grow a pair :laugh:

thanks guys for your imput, i welded for 2 years for a company that made heavy lifting elevators. i have not welded in about 5 years whats why i had a few questions doing it on a budget ie. doing it myself. i know to take the time and make sure its safe im not just some red neck doing this. i am in the air force working on aircraft and i know all about inspections and quality control. i was just looking for some tips of people that welded frames on there self not by people that didnt weld a hardtail on and just wanted to put there 2 cents in. thanks to the people with positive feedback
First thanks for your service. Second, I'm glad to see you respond, I was'nt sure if we would be hearing from you again :thumbsup: Myself and some others that responded have done this ourself and thats why you got the reponce you did (oh that and grow some balls:laugh:). I bet you dollars to nickles that you could find a fellow builder to work beside you in your quest to get this hardtail on and show you some welding skills at the same time. If you lived near me I would help you and beleive it or not "even" Teebs would lend you a hand if you where near him too I'm sure :laugh:

Ok maybe I was exaggerating a bit when I said the hardtail would fall off :laugh:. But I was trying to make a point that he should have a welder do this part for him. And as far as welding with a 135amp, sure it can be done no problem by someone who knows what they are doing! But you can have pretty welds without good penetration and how would you know without experience? With 120wall a 135amp is close to it's limits and a newbie is not going to bevel, root pass or anything but stick it together. Go ahead and do it! What's the worst that can happen? :D (possible HAZ issue?)

P.S. Hugh, You know how to weld, does he? Just trying to keep him alive :bike:

I just wanted to add that HAZ ment "Heat affected zone" not Hazardous. Welds tend to crack not at the weld its self but just outside the weld, in the "heat affected zone"

Flyboy . . you missed the point about penetration and amerage available. At the thickness the tube is, he should not need a second pass with the welder. Using .001 per 1amp of supplied power. But if someone felt that it wasn't enough, using a second pass by beveling would/could be an option.

thanks guys for your imput, i welded for 2 years for a company that made heavy lifting elevators. i have not welded in about 5 years whats why i had a few questions doing it on a budget ie. doing it myself. i know to take the time and make sure its safe im not just some red neck doing this. i am in the air force working on aircraft and i know all about inspections and quality control. i was just looking for some tips of people that welded frames on there self not by people that didnt weld a hardtail on and just wanted to put there 2 cents in. thanks to the people with positive feedback

You came on here with your hand out, and then threw a tantrum and started insulting people when they gave you good advice that you didn't want.

I don't care if you try to weld it yourself. Knock yourself out. But don't ask a totally novice question and then try to say you know more than you do. And how about acting like a grownup instead of a total tool when you don't like all the responses you get.

"Beggars can't be choosers" as they say...

And to GS: I've learned a lot from guys like me over the years, and I'll lend a hand to anyone who needs it. In fact I've got a kid hanging around my studio every day, bugging me. I've called him a "fucking idiot" on more than one occasion, but he keeps coming back to watch me work and get his hands dirty. I wonder why... :wink2:

Rubicon, where are you located? If you are near Asheville NC, bring it over here and we'll weld it up for a case of good IPA :thumbsup:

^^^^ better make that daisy cutter...by half acre! Or the new 3 floyds release broodoo. Just satin ; )

Its all about penetration...
:bed:

On a serious note... unless those welders plain suck, you should have no problems welding .125" with .030" wire and 75/25 gas. Full power and turn the wire speed down until it sounds like frying bacon (like already mentioned). Practice on some scrap to get your groove back and learn the machine. Maybe do some destructive testing of your welds, then go for it. Then post pictures.

hey Teebs up yours! thanks everyone one else for the help all welded up today everything went good

You came on here with your hand out, and then threw a tantrum and started insulting people when they gave you good advice that you didn't want.

I don't care if you try to weld it yourself. Knock yourself out. But don't ask a totally novice question and then try to say you know more than you do. And how about acting like a grownup instead of a total tool when you don't like all the responses you get.

"Beggars can't be choosers" as they say...

And to GS: I've learned a lot from guys like me over the years, and I'll lend a hand to anyone who needs it. In fact I've got a kid hanging around my studio every day, bugging me. I've called him a "fucking idiot" on more than one occasion, but he keeps coming back to watch me work and get his hands dirty. I wonder why... :wink2:

Kid, you never cease to amaze me. Best of luck on your build, I hope it turns out so great that all you do is ride your motorcycle so that we never have to hear from you again.

It appears you have plenty of people here who were looking out for your safety. That said let me be the little devil on your shoulder and tell you what you want to hear: "Yeah don't listen to the advice you asked for. Don't be a pussy, just duct tape that frame together, that's what all the cool people do."
Muhahahah

hey Teebs up yours! thanks everyone one else for the help all welded up today everything went good

Really??? "Up yours"??? A badass like you with your big balls and that's the best you could do? I... I think I'm going to cry... no, really... I think there's a tear... do ya see it... the single tear? Seriously, I mean... well, it's because I'm laughing my ass off at your bad self, but hey... it's still a tear. :laughing:

Knucklehead.

marriages are like tattoos... some parts hurt like hell, other parts are annoying, and some parts you acually like..... divorced a year and a half..

Back