welding questions

Nothing exploded but I learned my lessons the hard way. I used to do MC painting as a side line and oddly the tank was always dented!! I had one shoot 2-3' of flame out of the cap hole while sounding like a jet engine for what seemed like an hour while heating a dent with a torch, but was probably 2 or 3 seconds, it blew itself out. Stunned silence followed.
I air dry, solvent rinse, acetone or lacquer thinner rinse and air dry again. Gas is trapped, absorbed in the varnish, until ALL the varnish is gone you are handling a bomb. if your compressed air is dry you have the risk of a spark while drying. Water rinse is a fools game unless you leave the tank filled. I have had no luck welding metal that was backed by water.... Yes buy a welder any welder and practice. The night school class is good lets you mess with all the different techniques.
In typical gggGary style, I have a gas MIG, oxy acetylene torch, and 2 tigs, a smaller but still transformer based Miller square wave, and Chinese scratch start "suitcase" that works quite well for steel, My quick go to is still the MIG But I messed with the TIG a few times and would go that way or gas when I finally get to a major build. I'm still looking for a good torch with brazing welding tips for the oxy acetylene set.

Welding is a wonderful skill to have. Some people never will get it, some people will have to work at it to get good, and some people will fall right into it and make it all look easy. I had to work at it, and still consider myself learning despite being at a level where I have had and passed X-ray QC welds in the field. Quite simply with the number of alloys, processes, positions, and joint types it can be a lifelong learning experience.

As others have said a basic welder course would be a great place to start.

Mig is often regarded as the easiest process to do, but do take the time to learn what your looking at and be able to relate that to the machine so that you can set it up and adjust it properly.

My home setups pale in comparison to what I have access to at work, but I've made use of a miller AC buzzbox and a hobart 140 MIG. More recently I've aquired a Miller maxstar 200 that will greatly increase what I can do at home.

As far as my recommendation on a welder, I would say one of the new Tweco 3 in one welders should give you a good taste of what can be done without dedicated 220 service.
http://www.grainger.com/product/TWE...4FW14&ef_id=VTzLxwAABfaFjVxn:20150902192027:s

Back