Well... the day started out well...

Look at the pics in my post #7. You'll need to measure the overall length of your adjusting screw to determine which damper washer you need. Since you have a '79 model, that was the 1st year for the type E adjuster so it should be the early version. I would think you have the longer 60mm screw made for use with the 2mm thick copper washer. Also, note the bottoms of the screws in my pics. They're flat and the same diameter as the threads. Now look at yours. See how it steps down on the end? Your damper washer may be there, dirty and stuck to the bottom of the screw. Measuring the overall length should tell you this. If it's 62 or 63mm instead of 59 or 60, there's a washer stuck on the bottom.

If you have no luck on eBay, I've got extras, both springs and damper washers. Send me a P.M. and I can set you up.

He probably has no loose springs, they're all part of adjuster assemblies. I've generated extras because I like to upgrade the type D adjuster assemblies (no lock nut) to the type E (with lock nut). I think it's a "must do" upgrade. I've done my bike plus several others for local 650 guys. I usually get the better type E adjusters off eBay but they are usually sold as complete units. You rarely see just the needed parts for the upgrade (plunger and lock nut) sold alone or separately. That generates extra parts for every upgrade I do, the spring being one of them.

I'm expecting to adopt another XS in the next few days, so there is a list of a handful of items from both boats.net and Mikes that will be coming together in the next few weeks. I'll add a new spring to that order.

To hold me over in the meantime, I found one on eBay with a washer on it. I'm trying that out just for now. Once valves are adjusted this would literally have been the only thing keeping me from riding.

Hopefully this weekend will let me finish this up.

So this whole “do things in a certain order” makes so much sense haha. Installed the spring I bought, valves appear ok and.... voila!

Attachments

• 8A34F89C-034F-49E7-964D-C68FD8F64033.jpeg
    8A34F89C-034F-49E7-964D-C68FD8F64033.jpeg
    166.1 KB · Views: 100
Is that your timing mark over to the right, pointing at about 3:30? If so then yes, the timing is way, way off. I didn't think there was enough adjustment available to make it that far off, lol. Let's just hope your cam chain didn't jump a tooth on the sprockets because it was running with no tension.

5Twins: yes, that would be TDC way the hell out there between 3 and 4 o' clock.

Before I put the spring in and adjusted the valves, the mark was right between "TDC" and "Fire". Not perfect, but not terrible.

Now ... well you see.

I'm sitting on my couch right now reading my Haynes manual .... not really very intuitive on setting timing w points.

I think I'm going to re-check TDC before I freak out any further....

I'm surprised it even runs if the timing is that far off. Yes, you'll need to verify T.D.C. and I'd verify that the cam is still in time as well. If you installed the P.M.A. and you made the new timing mark on the flywheel, and it was done with the cam chain adjuster spring missing, it could be off.

Honestly, I'm surprised the bike even runs with the timing that far off, lol. The "Fire" mark is 15° BTDC. The right end of that sticker is another 15° to 20° away from TDC in the opposite direction. That means your timing could be off as much as 30° to 40°. I don't know if there's that much adjustment range available on the timing plate. Did you verify the cam timing is correct? Maybe your cam chain has jumped a tooth on the sprockets.

I'll start reading. Unfortunately it seems like that link to 650motorcycles.com that 5twins shared several years ago is now redirecting to a dubious site and can't be used.

THIS JUST IN! THIS JUST IN:

I'm retarded! Not the timing!

I bumped the advance wheel so It was flashing at god knows what amount of degrees. Please stay tuned till I can fire her up and check tomorrow....

XS650Stock Camshaft Specs Bob Bertaunt02.jpg XS650Stock Camshaft Specs Bob Bertaunt03.jpg XS650Stock Camshaft Specs Bob Bertaunt04.jpg XS650Stock Camshaft Specs Bob Bertaunt05.jpg XS650Stock Camshaft Specs Bob Bertaunt06.jpg XS650Stock Camshaft Specs Bob Bertaunt07.jpgXS650Stock Camshaft Specs Bob Bertaunt08.jpg XS650Stock Camshaft Specs Bob Bertaunt09.jpg XS650Stock Camshaft Specs Bob Bertaunt10.jpg XS650Stock Camshaft Specs Bob Bertaunt11.jpg XS650Stock Camshaft Specs Bob Bertaunt12.jpg XS650Stock Camshaft Specs Bob Bertaunt13.jpg XS650Stock Camshaft Specs Bob Bertaunt14.jpg XS650Stock Camshaft Specs Bob Bertaunt15.jpg XS650Stock Camshaft Specs Bob Bertaunt16.jpg

from the old 650Motorcycles site........This has been converted to Office to PDF to JPEG.................can't guarantee some cam info hasn't been lost..........Sure someone will peruse it

Attachments

• HEAD.pdf
    598.5 KB · Views: 727
  • XS650Stock Camshaft Specs Bob Bertaunt17.jpg
    XS650Stock Camshaft Specs Bob Bertaunt17.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 76
Back