what a difference an excellent welder makes?

Good Thread but it all has to do with the person welding and the equipment they have. I have a mig and a tig and my mig is 220 for longer use. Gas is so important and there are different types out there but i have found that a 75 /25 mix work well with my mig and some other people i know use straight ARGON. Metal cleaning is also a big key. The cleaner it is the better the weld. If you are just learning take a class at your local high school most have night classes you just got to fine one that offers a class. Get a bunch of metal and try different heat and speed settings untill it looks good.I have used 110 with gas and they work good the duty cycles is just low and you have to work a little faster but it works for the money. I know guys that been welding for over 30 years and sometime there welds look bad and it could be wire gas person. I just had a bad spool from HARBOR FREIGHT and popped all over the place thought it was the welder. Changed the spool and worked perfect. So there are alot of things that go into play when you weld. TV can do 100 takes before they put the best one on so i wouldn't rely on what you see. DO IT YOURSELF

When I worked for the Govt' we had a lot of welders. I worked in a testing facility and they would have to build all kinds of stuff. I don't mean 2 plates together, I mean entire Cruiser ship hulls, 7 story's, and then blow them up for tests. They would work for a year, then in one minute...boom!! These guys were amazing. Anyway, sometimes we would have down time and they would have some fun. They would even race their torch cutters that are on a track to cut long pieces of plate. See who was faster and cut the best. But one thing they did for fun was what they called "combat welding". As in having to fix something on the fly like if they were in combat. Dirty metal, outside, ect. Seeing these guys tricks of the trade was great. I guess what I'm kinda getting at is that they welded with ever variable out there to figure out what to do and learn the tricks. It was realy fun working with them.

The welding shop I get my gas from says that in order to use an argon/CO2 mix I would need different sized "plumbing" to fit onto the gas bottle.
I had the feeling though, that that just didn't feel like getting it for me and told me that to get me out of there.
I could be wrong.
Is that true as far as you know? that a CO2 tank would use differently sized hardware than bottles or argon or bottles of "mix"?

Anyway, I see now what the deal is with that show...like many of you have mentioned, they just edit out the bad and the ugly. And that sooner or later most everyone IN REAL LIFE has some troubleshooting to do.

Also, even if I can't get a new regulator right away (severely financially challenged at the moment) I REALLY look fwd. to trying some more welding with the gas just barely cracked open.

And actually, in a way that DOES make sense. One day I had fantastic welds and then poof it was out of gas. So I'm thinking even though I had it opened several turns, because it was running out it was giving me the lower pressure - and that otherwise I've had the gas up too high.
Might try that tonight, just to see.

thx again, you all.

it's funny, I've always found American Chopper irritating a little, for all the usual reasons - over-dramatic B.S., but I always enjoyed the "tech" stuff it showed. Now I realize that even THAT is glossed over and made to seem easier than it really is.
If it were as easy as they made it look during that "try out" episode, hell - welders wouldn't even be considered a "trade". You could just hire them off the street for minimum wage.
Rather than being the highly skilled tradesmen some of you guys are.

Have you ever seen one of there bike go on a ride for two hours NO!!!
I know two people who bought there early bikes and both are very plain and do ride them alot but the more bullshit you weld on a bike is just more stuff to fall off. WHY DID THEY NEVER DO A BIKER BUILD OFF HMMMMM
They build very NICE builds for COPT AMERICA and good for them people want to be on the show and advertise there company. But TV is TV
Do you really think there is $150,000.00 in the bike????
NO air ride NO hand built frame NO hand built motor.
I like watching it and know people who dealt with them. ITS TV!!!!

emzdogz the bottles are different. the gas might be the problem. i have never heard of welding solid wire with straight C02. the only time i have used straight C02 was when using a dual sheild wire, flux in the wire and a shielding gas. it burns hot and penetraits

I don't knw much about wire fed welders but on other gas bottles they use different fittings so you can't accidently use the wrong gas.

Back