What am I missing?

yellowdog

yellowdog
Reaction score
Hi ,Just got this new Tacho cable for a 1972 650 but as you can see the fitment is different to the oem one.
The knurled knob on the old one is all one piece and I can't figure out how to fit the new one,am I missing an adaptor or something ,
Thanks .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 80
It's in there. Just need to unscrew the tach cable from the adapter.
(Part #4, new style pic)...

Attachments

• 70-73-TachGear.jpg
    70-73-TachGear.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 75
Vise grip the part without knurls, Vise grip the knurled parts, and undo them. All will be obvious then. You have all the parts.

These are the parts still attached to your old cable, #1-4 in 2M's "New Type" drawing .....

Thanks. Will give that a go_On initial inspection it looked like the knurled part and the smooth bit are all one piece,can't see a join. If I manage to separate them is the knurled piece no longer used ?

The knurled cap is the same as the spline cap on your new cable.
So the knurled piece stays on the old cable.

To keep the smooth part (#1 in the drawing) from turning without running the risk of buggering it all up by grabbing it with pliers, you may want to re-install it back into the case with it's little set bolt. That should hold it from spinning while you have at the knurled collar.

When you pulled your old cable out of the engine, did the shaft lift up with it? If so you will need to pull the right side cover to check that part #9 is on the shaft. This acts as a shim to hold the shat up enough to properly engage the tach. It also acts as a wear point. With out it the hard steel of the shaft can drill into the soft aluminum case.
Leo

Back