What crazy stuff have you found in your oil?

Kathos

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Recently I checked my oil pan that I use for draining all my vehicles and I found two copper washers and part of a piston ring. I wish my catcher was not so open so I had an idea of where/when they came out.
I wanted to hear what stories you guys had. Pictures are great.
Ps. Where do we even use copper washers inside of our xs650?

This was from my previous rebuild.
e39cw.jpg

Recently I checked my oil pan that I use for draining all my vehicles and I found two copper washers and part of a piston ring. I wish my catcher was not so open so I had an idea of where/when they came out.
I wanted to hear what stories you guys had. Pictures are great.
Ps. Where do we even use copper washers inside of our xs650?

This was from my previous rebuild.
e39cw.jpg

Is this your pic?

e39cw.jpg

That looks like pieces of an oilpump...

Lots of dead mice. But I think (hope) they go in while the drain pan is sitting in the shed.

The rods have a washer on each side that look like copper when worn.

And the oil pump parts should look like these;

Attachments

• XS650 Crank in Pieces.jpg
    XS650 Crank in Pieces.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 160
  • XS650 Oil Pump Parts.jpg
    XS650 Oil Pump Parts.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
I have a high mileage 1991 ElectraGlide and took it on a long trip. While enroute home, it developed a tapping sound and a slight miss. Rode her home and discovered I had a bad lifter, so I ordered new lifters and stuff. When I pulled my second pushrod tappet block I found a shard of bright green GLASS stuck in a oil galley! Put in my new lifters and have not had any issues since! I wondered if my 'Glide was producing it's own emeralds... but I haven't found anymore, so...

Those pieces were indeed from my oilpump. That was just a picture I had from my previous rebuild. The paragraph before was not related.

Dead mice :thumbsdown:

Back