what did i break! i have no spark after leaving key on.

shark1979

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
i left the key on the other night. went out next day to find my coil had started to melt a little. so i ordered a new one from mikesxs. i installed it today. still no spark. the bike has a PAMCO ing system. did i fry that also by leaving the key on? i have 12v going to coil. what else do i need to check?

I think I have read on here that you can hurt the Pamco by leaving your key on. That being said, I've left mine on overnight and I'm doing fine.

That is a possibility. That probably is the only complaint I have with the pamco system.

Pete does have a warranty for such failures, I believe. Send him an email. I put an LED on the side of my electrics box to help me remember when the key is on.

Kent

P1000492.jpg

is there a way to test the pamco system or just buy a new one? who is Pete and what kind of warranty might you be talking about?

Pete is "pamcopete", the guy who invented the pamco ignition system. he is a member here.

Leaving the key on in must electronic ignitions is bad. There's a transistor that is meant to switch on and off wich receives constant power. It's common for that transistor to get fried.

The stock TCI ignition has a timer and shuts it's self off after a few seconds if the engine isn't turning.

^ I would love to add a microprocessor to the Pamco and give it that timer and also add a field programmable and resettable electronic advance. I've had a 20 yr career doing similar things. But, I think realistically it isn't necessary and might be undesirable.

I don't know that Pete couldn't do it himself if he wanted. The Pamco was conceived to eliminate points, and points have the same problem, so there's no net loss there. But the philosophy I was brought up with was to absolutely idiot proof a thing,,,to keep the phone from ringing. The phone can ring constantly if you if you don't head it off.

The stock TCI ignition has a timer and shuts it's self off after a few seconds if the engine isn't turning.

Yeah, pretty much all OEM ignitions will shut off automatically to prevent damage. It's one of the perks of electronic ignitions, like current clamps and dynamic dwell control.

It's not uncommon for aftermarket electronic ignitions to leave out some of these features. Especially the tiny modules that bolt on in place of points, like Dyna S, Pertronics, and Pamco. When the market is looking for cheap and easy it doesn't pay to complicate them with fail safes.

Just want to add I ain't slammin Pete, his product fits a good market niche. I even have a Pamco and will have to install it on a bike some day. The thing is I get points and how to make them work and haven't had an unfixable TCI yet. If I end up with a points engine that I will ride for awhile I will put in the Pamco because points are a far from ideal coil trigger.

I don't have a pamco set-up. I still use points but if you leave the key on, you're still in trouble. I wired mine to be on or off with the key. When you turn the key off the bike stops running!!!! Because of this, I never leave my key on after a ride. The easy, and cheap way to fix this is to have your key be your on-off switch!

It has pained me to see folks throwing out TCI ignitions because they don't have the brains to understand how to get the thing working. The Pamco is a cool way to eliminate points but points work great too. I hooked up the timing light before I rode to camp at Mid-Ohio with my over laden XS650. The points timing was still spot on after 2000+ miles! I put a drop of oil on the felts for maintenence. Points? It's an old bike, learn to take care of it or buy a modern bike like everyone else.

Tom Graham

Old tech like points suck. Every engine in any of my vehicles is older than 1973, and you can be sure that I have eliminated the points and installed electronic ignition in all of them. One less headache to worry about on these old bikes.

Back