What did i get myself into....a learning experience.

ZeroDruul

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey xs650 community, this is my first build/first time really working on a motorcycle. I have owned a few motorcycles before including one cx500 cafe-ish bike that i loved. something about the forward lean made me feel more like a part of the bike, something ive fell in love with right away. Unfortunately it was short lived due to a drunk lady pulling out in front of me. sold the bike and regretted it ever since.

This is my project, a 1983 xs650 special. I picked it up last week from a family friend for $300 running. It has been sitting outside in the weather for some years but starts and seems to be in ok running order. Its dirty as heck and i can see that my idea of a quick project has been turned on its head. Thats ok, i rather take the time to get to know the bike and the community through this build so here we go.

Went out and bought a tool set and some degreaser and carb cleaner and rust penetrant and starting ripping into her(already a rookie mistake), should of taken the time to do a compression test and leak down test.

Plans:
-tear it down
-pull the engine
-replace,overbore,etc as needed
-either stick with stock tank and strip/repaint or get an xs750 fuel tank
-rebuild forks and lower the front end
-raise the rear about 2 inches with some new shocks.
-clip-ons
-hopefully a custom seat with a removable cowl(would like it to be a 2 seater) but we will see.
-replace all the bushings and electrics
-sure more as i take it apart

not sure what to do about wheels and tires yet. still got a lot of roaming around the how-to's and other peoples build threads.

started stripping it down and getting it ready to pull the engine. As this is my first time doing this and im doing it alone for now its taking some time so expect this to be a long project, but plan is to have it all done by the christmas break(impeccable timing) but since i live in NM it doesn't ever get unbearably cold.

Got a Clymer manual so that's helping as i take her apart.
looking forward to getting this project going and talkin with you guys.

Attachments

• bike1.jpg
    bike1.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 189
  • bike4.jpg
    bike4.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 200
  • bike5.jpg
    bike5.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 195
  • bike6.jpg
    bike6.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 195
  • bike7.jpg
    bike7.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 208
  • bike8.jpg
    bike8.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Welcome to the FORUM, ZeroDruul. This ship has set sail! You have a plan and you sound well organized. Yes, pouring thru this forum will be very helpful.

Be prepared for surprizes, expenses, tool investments. Keep track of your parts...

Welcome Zerodruul! This is a great forum with endless information!

I am in the same boat as you, I have never EVER done anything machanical in my life before, and this is quite a big step for me! My bike came in boxes, so basically I had a big meccano set with no instructions!

With the help of this forum and a lot of internet surfing, I have come a long way! Make sure you have at least one manual(Haynes or Clymer or both) and a lot of bookmarks to help with the build. There is a thread somewhere that has pdf's translated from some german forum for a complete motor teardown. This webpage is also invaluable for me and my build: http://thexscafedotcom.wordpress.com/2011/04/26/xs650-xs650sj-service-manual/

Go through this forum from front to back, read EVERY post, you will learn so much diong this! This is a fantastic community, and if you do your homework, you can ask anything and the guru's jump in and help!!

Post up lots of pics, we like pictures!!! Enjoy the build, I know I am!!!:thumbsup:

ZeroDruul;

You have a lot of work ahead of you. Expect to replace all rubber pieces. All wiring has to be gone through,and all connectors cleaned. The old 4 position fuse panel (with glass fuses) is garbage now................replace with automotive blade type fuse holders.

Thanks everyone for the tips and warnings! I can see this is gonna be a helpful place to learn. I will keep you all posted as things get done.

Welcome, Zerodruul - I have plans to make my bike a two-seater. I have got my hands on a 70s king and queen seat which I will examine and see how they are put together, then I will make a new one.

It's all fun.

Anlaf

Hey ZeroDruul, Welcome to our little XS slice of life.
In the climate You are in the bike is probably better shape than one in the high humidity. I knew your Town and area perdy good 30 years ago. TorC, Hillsboro, Kingston, Denton, Silver City. We treasured hunted through the Caballos. Looking for Pedro Navarez hidden gold. those were some fun times.
Again welcome. here is some good reading for You
CV Carbs - one of the best how-to manuals ive found for the original carbs

http://www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf this was provided by some good guys here on the site.

Awesome, thanks for the material I am Carbon. @anlaf let me know how to two seater works out, would like to see the final result

Been a few days since i posted anything. sorry things have been busy but i have been working on the bike at night. got the bike stripped pretty much down to the frame, front forks and triple tree are off, the only thing im having trouble with is the long swingarm bolt that runs through the swingarm, cant seem to get it to back itself out, im guessing thats how its taken off anyway. clymer manual is pretty vague so im gonna check out the shop manuals in the tech section.

Anyways engine is out and took off the head and the jugs.
l84z.jpg

Cam and valve springs. those cam bearings were a pain in the butt to get off.
dgh6.jpg

the left piston in this pic is more of a brown with not so much carbon buildup where as the right piston is all covered in black carbon...any reason that might happen?normal?
kd0i.jpg

Right piston(left if sitting on bike)
tn8j.jpg

Left piston(right if sitting on bike) more of a brown color.
r0o3.jpg

Right piston if sitting on bike
dmgd.jpg

Left piston if sitting on bike
9mxj.jpg

Jugs dont look to bad but once i figure out where they are at as far as needing an overbore ill take them to a shop
ti2k.jpg

sv6f.jpg

uvmb.jpg

the valves are my main concern right now..as you can see the valves on the right are pretty covered in carbon, not sure if i can take a brush to those and have the head cleaned and the valves reseated or if im gonna need to get new one. what do you all think?
wpvp.jpg

qaib.jpg

Well that is it for now. I need to buy a valve spring compressor to take those out.so i can have the head blasted and cleaned up. I think i am gonna leave the bottom end alone as i have read these are pretty much bullet proof. but at 32k miles im not sure if i should just take it apart and have a look-see just to check all the gears.

Looks like oil was getting past the rings on one cylinder and running rather rich on the other. I like it when everything is cleaned up and you have before and after pics to wonder how the bike ran in the state it was in.

The compression test would have told you what you can see = time to replace pistons, rings, and have it re-bored (I see that was in your plan}.

Anlaf

Sorry i havent been updating lately. Kind of been on hold cause of full time school and work. Figured i would take this project a section at a time starting with the engine.

I am about to place an order from Mikesxs including
-1st oversize pistons and rings
-shim valve spring seats
-front cam chain guide
-cam chain tensioner arm
-cam chain
-oil filter sump and filter screen
-Athena overhaul gasket
-Engine oil seal kit
-valve stem seals
-Front sprocket

i was curious based on the pics of the valves i posted do you all recommend new ones or do you think i can just grind off the carbon and they should be fine? And damn is the swingarm bolt a pain in the arse to get out. guess ill have to cut it or something.

Zerodruul, just a thought, but if it was difficult to remove the cam bearings you must have not removed the cam chain adjuster first - if you did, then those bearings were really stuck in there.

Anlaf

Anlaf, ya i had tried to remove them without removing that first, but once that was off even with a tilting the cam they were pretty stuck on there. PITA, but they look good so im gonna use em. hopefully not as big of a pain and will slip back on easily.

Back