What do you do for a living ???

Hairyblackdude

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
WHAT DO YOU DO???

I am currently repairing cellphones in a retail store. I HATE it. Im still reasonably young, 28, and Im having a tough time imagining working for another 30+ years at least. Looking for a job change soon.

Im curious what other people do for a living everyday that keeps them sane & content w/ their life...

So.. What do you do? How do you like it? How did you get started?​

I worked retail when I was younger. I was a car salesman, made some very good money working ridiculous hours and lying through my teeth. Hated every minute of it, so I joined the Army. Worked as a human intelligence gatherer until an injury took me out of the field. Best job ever. Got bored after spending too much time behind a desk, so I didn't re-up. Used my VA benefits to go back to school. Now I sculpt for a living. It requires more sacrifice than you would believe to survive as an artist, but I get to do basically whatever I want, whenever I want now, so it was worth it.

I'd still retire to a white sandy beach, drink beer and tinker on bikes every day if I could afford it though...

I am a Draftsman by trade. In my career I have worked as a Drafter/Designer in the machine tool industry, have taught drafting and CAD classes, gone back to school and studied engineering. Worked in the building industry as a Plumbing/Fire Protection engineer, but I am currently working as an Estimator for building projects. All these I have built off my base education as a Drafter. Never stop learning.

Oilfield. Well, natural gas. I'm a 3rd class power engineer and I operate natural gas compressors in remote environments. My current position puts me in northeast British Columbia, about 150 miles from anywhere. I work shift work, 2 weeks at work then 2 weeks at home. It's not a job as much as a lifestyle but you can't beat 2 weeks off every month! I am not sure about the sane part. Content, yes. Sane? The jury is still out....

As my screen name says. I am a technician. 26 years of working on cars. General repair mostly, all makes and models. I am not a dealer tech. I CAN fix any thing. For a while , I worked as a restoration technician. My friend has a successful business in Massachussetts. Thought it would be my dream job. Worked on VERY expensive cars. A real 427 GT40 , raced Lemans 1966, and a couple of one off Ferraris. Interesting work, lots of research. Wasn't for me though, strangely I missed the action. I found it to be really boring working on one car for several months. I also didn't feel as though I contributed anything to society. The rich customers are just douchebags mostly. (although I did score my tank for my chop for free there) Maybe if I had started earlier it would have been different, but you get conditioned. That, and my commute was really long. I HATED it. So now I work 2 miles from home for a great guy doing what do best, I fix broken cars. I am good at it. And I like it.

I was downsized four years ago from a field engineering job in the graphic art industry. (press mechanic) I took many of my clients with me so that provides my base income amd I generally do this roughly 3 half days a week. I am also a metal sculptor. (www.stevenhaasmobiles.com) and I am affiliated with a start up musky fishing tackle corp. as the product development guy. (www.tyranttackleinc.com) Yes, one of my jobs is to go fishing. I don't have any debt and I live somewhat simply so I like to say, "I don't make much money but the hours are great!"

I now fix camping trailers in the summer, retired in winter. I worked in Outboard Marine Corporation's Galesburg, IL plant for 19 years, working on line assembly of Lawn Boy mowers, receiving inspection for 2 years, mill machine for 3 yrs, repairman in electrical dept for 4 yrs, repairman in carb dept for 1 1/2 yrs, we also made carbs, stators and coils from scratch for Johnson and Evinrude outboard motors. Plant closed in 1984 to move south, and east. Worked on farm. Worked on disassembling hogs at nearby slaughterhouse for 14 months until they closed in 1986. Worked on farm again. Been doing camper repairs since 1987 at my own shop. Proudly spent 7 yrs in Army Reserve Light Infantry Unit. Motorcycle rider for 47 years.

Last edited:
Engineering technician, normally in product development,but I do everything from managing qa to plant maint. To customer support to writing operating/service manuals, to machining/welding/building prototypes basically whatever they can throw at me. Going back to school this fall, going to finally try to get a real degree. Yes, I'm more than a bit stressed....

Posted via Mobile

I'm a woodturner. I sell my work through galleries and also travel the US and the world teaching turning. I also make specialty tools which is where my screen name comes from. :) Beats having a job, and it's put two kids through college, :)

John

Attachments

• WT.jpg
    WT.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 246
  • Walnut Vessel Detail 2010.jpg
    Walnut Vessel Detail 2010.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 244
custom shotguns - i run 1 laser for wood checkering and 25 lasers for metal engraving, draw the programs/patterns for the lasers, hand checker stocks, gold foil stamping, gold inlay on wood.. i think that's all

before this i restored antique furniture and was a cook for a while.

I started by spending a couple of years in the Canadian air force as a radio (electronics) technian. Followed that with 6 years installing and testing telephone switching equipment and microwave radios/multiplex.

Too much travelling away from home so trained as a power plant engineer, and got a second class stationary engineer certificate. 2 years in coal fired plant, 9 years in oil fired plant, and the last 18 in a Nuclear power plant as a control room operator.

As you might suspect, I'm retired now. Working was good fun while it lasted but I finally found something I'm good at................relaxing and being lazy:D

I started by spending a couple of years in the Canadian air force as a radio (electronics) technian. Followed that with 6 years installing and testing telephone switching equipment and microwave radios/multiplex.

Too much travelling away from home so trained as a power plant engineer, and got a second class stationary engineer certificate. 2 years in coal fired plant, 9 years in oil fired plant, and the last 18 in a Nuclear power plant as a control room operator.

As you might suspect, I'm retired now. Working was good fun while it lasted but I finally found something I'm good at................relaxing and being lazy:D
Excellent for you!:thumbsup: I hope I can get good at that someday too!:)

Petrophysicist for Chevron in 28/28 rotation to Angola.

OK, that assignment is over, now in Chengdu, China.

Last edited:
31 years as a CATV/ Telecommunictions Tech ( read 'Cable Guy').
You may have let me in your home.....are you the one with the 12 dogs and 32 cats that NEVER go outside?
Or the white carpets?

31 years as a CATV/ Telecommunictions Tech ( read 'Cable Guy').
You may have let me in your home.....are you the one with the 12 dogs and 32 cats that NEVER go outside?
Or the white carpets?

I think I work on their minivan. The one with the french fries, (cheerios, goldfish, whatever they feed their offspring) under every corner and 12 half empty bottles of "whatever" everywhere.:wtf: So , that's what their houses look like...figures.

Supervisor of a Mailroom\Copycenter. I supervise students that work for the college. 2 hours of work, 2 hours of xs650.com, and 4 hours of eBay everyday. Went to college for NonDestructive Testing but in 2001 jobs dried up around here. Did QC jobs for a while then was a claims adjuster for National Warrany RRG. Company went bankrupt but got enough experience as a manager to get misc. managing jobs. Would rather build bikes but I'm not fast or famous enough at it to pay the bills. Plus I think the custom bike market has hit it's saturation point. Not many people left in this economy to buy those 40K bikes.

I currently work as a pharmacy technician while I am in pharmacy school. I live half of the year in michigan and half of ther year near chicago at school. I was in the Marine reserves for six years before I got out to go to grad school. I am pretty handy as well as have the will to learn but lack the background many of you do.

I be assistant parts manager at a Ford dealership. Been 27 yrs trapped behind a shop counter....seen a couple thousand techs come in and go out these doors. Somewhat mechanically inclined. Built some Harleys , ground up....dont consider myself a technician. I leave the motor work to the pros and am friends with many of them. will try this Yamaha, soon as I get some other projects done. Dune buggy for one. Watching and listening and trying to learn something here. I print out a lot-o stuff. Memory being what it is....practically non-existent. Kev.

Back