What up Gents?

keeger1957

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's up guys it's been a while since I have posted but here's an update. First I'm a young guy who dresses like a bum and rides the bike we all do. I CANNOT get respect or attention at these local shops to get some work done. One dismissed me off the bat, 2 never got back to me, and one quoted me 550$ in labor to change front/rear tires chain and sprocket. $1000 bucks with parts for shinkos and some sprockets? Yeah right. I was really excited about one and still have hope they will get back to me....the work is incredible and they are not liars about how long things take and shop rate is fair. It's tough being young hell I've even offered deposits....maybe I should just wear a shirt that says "I bought bitcoin in 2009 I could buy your showroom" just frustrating.
Anyway while I'll wait for someone to get back to me I got bored and wrapped my exhaust. Front fender is off cuz it's ugly and I'm currently cutting it up. I'll post pics soon of the fender.

Attachments

• 20210623_145138.jpg
    20210623_145138.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 154
Yeah for bikes this old, if you can't DIY sump'n, might be best to find a very small or hobby type garage. There's more of them lurking around than you'd think. Those (all) shops respect those who respect them, IE Have clear idea of what you want done. Have things ready (has it been bathed, cleaned up ready for work, not a grease, dirt pit? Really other than levering on tires the rest is in reach of about anyone that can breath.
OK the 36mm nut for the front sprocket can be a bit of a challenge. Really any bike more than 10 years old will need the owner to be at least a bit mechanically involved.
Good luck in your search for a shop.

Last edited:
Thank you! Yeah the shop I'm interested in is just right up my alley. His builds are almost exactly what I would do with one of mine had a great convo with him and hit it off. Maybe thats why they are busy there customer service was spot on the first time I went in. I'm impatient.
Here's my first attempt at cutting metal and painting it(I'm a wood worker no metal unless it's prefabricated lol).

Attachments

• 20210623_152846.jpg
    20210623_152846.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 145
Well I went down to a custom shop a half mile away from my place and met a nice guy who happens to be a well known builder he just doesn't build many bikes. "Billy The Kid Custom Cycles" STL. He mostly does Harley stuff....I laughed and said people ask me what kind of Harley this is all the time. He is 6 weeks out on just a tire change bummer.
Guess I'll just keep doing what I can.

Attachments

• 20210623_180056.jpg
    20210623_180056.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 124
Check the regional forum here. Theres bound to be someone close by STL area. Most people that own these know how to work on things. Ask to see how much it would cost if you bring in the wheels themselves. I used to do that, usually saved $75-$100.

Not sure if its been mentioned .But a manual Clymer / Haynes or download
And if not accustomed to mechanical work a torque wrench.
I hear that people here are told flat out by the brand shop that they don't want to take on a job.
I have myself been recommended not put any money in the bike.
One I know had a Honda with electrical problems ..early 80 ies model : not many miles on the clock
The bike was worth about $ 800 $ 1000
Finding the electrical fault can take an hour or three a $ 150 an hour
If it is a bad wiring the customer can come back and are mad and the shop gets the fault

Mechanical wise a bike can have been worked over by Hulk Hogan or Schwarzenegger or Whatnot
Many times so every thread can be sloppy casings warped and other problems be there
we have an expression for that " Sönderskruvad " worked on many times by non skilled persons
causing problems
That is one reason why untouched originals are worth more

A brand shop don't want these problems ending up opening that can of worms
And the same with a smaller shop , I get questions sometimes to Help out . I rarely do it and when I do I make it clear
That these problems mentioned can happen and things can go wrong.
I tell them I can do it and most likely can do it without problems but I don't want a big bill if something goes wrong.

Another thing that happens regularly. Is that ---say that the carburetors are taken out for service .
At the same time more work is done ..cleaning and painting perhaps new boots and so on ..

There are also bad unqualified shops out there ... Doing bad jobs.

Since you are a woodworker some skills with tools are there as well as hand strength.
You can do it . It is a bit different ( it hurts more with metal work ) but all in all if one follows the manual.
and take it slow . Much can be done

The Honda i Helped out it turned out to be a Shop that had replaced a brake switch but failed to adjust so brake light was on all the time.

I do most of my own stuff and work on it a lot. There are also a lot of things I won't do. Taking my rear tire off and re install is one of those things. I also don't like messing around with the brakes. But you better believe I'm bolting those new 34s when they get here. Got some MikesXS 13 3/16 shocks on the way too I hope I didn't make a mistake going with the monza shocks.

More parts just arrived. Anyone have experience with niche chains? I did some research on them and they get high reviews. I come from the sportbike side but don't think a DID or RK like I would have put on my older bikes that had triple the hp was necessary. I've always liked the way the gold chain looks for some reason.

Attachments

• 20210623_195512.jpg
    20210623_195512.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 115
At $125 an hour $550 doesn’t sound like he’s trying to rip you off.

Not trying to be negative but if changing a sprocket/chain or tires seems like an intimidating task, an xs could be a real expensive motorcycle.

you don’t want the responsibility of taking off your tires, adjusting your brakes and at the same time don’t wanna pay the guy who is taking on that responsibility?

These old bikes are pretty simple machines take pictures before and during taking things apart. It really isn't that hard. Otherwise, be willing to pay the piper.

Just have a new niche chain and sprockets on a Honda 750 haven't run it yet, they look fine. I'd be surprised if it wasn't Volar which I have racked up some miles on, with good results so far. After a 2300 mile trip, it was still in my tension spec.

At $125 an hour $550 doesn’t sound like he’s trying to rip you off.

Not trying to be negative but if changing a sprocket/chain or tires seems like an intimidating task, an xs could be a real expensive motorcycle.

you don’t want the responsibility of taking off your tires, adjusting your brakes and at the same time don’t wanna pay the guy who is taking on that responsibility?

Easy bro I got 4 quotes. All were $200-$250 except one he was $550. in his defense he is good at what he does and I know that. Anyway I don't mess with certain things because there is a very important young lady who sits on the back sometimes and I'm not a mechanic gotta know your limits. Don't worry about the XS getting expensive you're not paying....

Easy bro I got 4 quotes. All were $200-$250 except one he was $550. in his defense he is good at what he does and I know that. Anyway I don't mess with certain things because there is a very important young lady who sits on the back sometimes and I'm not a mechanic gotta know your limits. Don't worry about the XS getting expensive you're not paying....

Haha apparently you aren’t either (especially since half the city is showing you the door)

Good luck with your bike.

Haha apparently you aren’t either (especially since half the city is showing you the door)

Good luck with your bike.
The problem is getting them to take my money! One guy was just to cool for school. I've agreed to two quotes but it's scooter season(scooters are kinda a thing here) in stl and they are booked for weeks out and I'm on "new" tires with a 2008 date code so I am in a rush to get these old tires and tubes out. I think they just make A LOT of money doing all these scooters

2008 ain't all that old, if they don't have any cracks and you can thumb nail dent em, well I'd ride em locally.
But I'm "living on the edge"
20210612_163410.jpg

This one not so much. But it was enough to get the carbs and brakes sorted during wake up... It had NO date code, believe it was the original front on a 76 Honda.

Cycle Gear changes tires but you have to remove them first. Reasonable price too (especially if you buy their tires) but you have to bring them the wheels.
Chain and sprockets are novice level maintenance items you should be able to handle yourself.

2008 ain't all that old, if they don't have any cracks and you can thumb nail dent em, well I'd ride em locally.
But I'm "living on the edge"
View attachment 193826
This one not so much. But it was enough to get the carbs and brakes sorted during wake up... It had NO date code, believe it was the original front on a 76 Honda.
Brave man!

Cycle Gear changes tires but you have to remove them first. Reasonable price too (especially if you buy their tires) but you have to bring them the wheels.
Chain and sprockets are novice level maintenance items you should be able to handle yourself.
Yes! The company ji but the tire revzilla.com is a vendor for them and they said go there....25bucks a tire mounted and balance if you buy it from them or a vendor! It didn't say I had to remove the wheels I'll check em out. Thanks! I know the sprockets are and easy chain and I guess I could rent a chain breaker?

Back