What up Gents?

XS650 chains mostly have a clip type master link, look for it.
My niche chain also came with a clip type master link.

I don't think it is necessary to break the chain for removing the Wheel ( 1980 XS 650 SE disc rear )
Cant remember how I Done it but I have never owned nor rented a Chain breaker
But taken off the Wheel many times.
I lean it on the center stand to one side and can then pull the wheel out.
As mentioned taken it to the Tyre Shop with a Tyre for putting on

If you buy a "bulk" length chain then yes, you may need to shorten it. But a dedicated chain breaker may not be needed. You can usually grind off the riveted ends of the pins and then tap the link out with a punch. This is a cam chain but you would do a drive chain the same way .....

nRdWnsc.jpg

The hardest part of a chain and sprocket change is getting the front sprocket off. Worst case if you don't have an air compressor or a friend with one is to trailer the entire bike to a mechanic's shop and ask them to impact the sprocket nut off.
Also, I would avoid custom bike shops. Look for a local motorcycle repair place. Much cheaper and less attitude. Ask at Cycle Gear. Those guys are usually well connected.

I went to a new shop I found. And he said they don't work on scoots! He can get me in next week. Front tire rear tire sprockets chain front pad and rear pads for 275$!!!!! He was a little upset I didn't buy my stuff from him so I told him if I bring him parts that are not compatible I'll give him a 20 and pay him for his wasted time. He got a kick out of that and said that's fair I might make that a policy lol

Here's what we got going today Tach eliminate and clubman bars on. I'm trying different stuff everyday

Attachments

• 20210624_144814.jpg
    20210624_144814.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 20210624_144838.jpg
    20210624_144838.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 136
What you really need to try is learning how to properly route cables, lol. You can't have sharp bends and kinks or the cables won't operate smoothly. Your clutch lever is going to be a bear to pull with the cable like that. Properly rerouting cables with really low bars is difficult. Personally, I think they're more trouble than they're worth.

What you really need to try is learning how to properly route cables, lol. You can't have sharp bends and kinks or the cables won't operate smoothly. Your clutch lever is going to be a bear to pull with the cable like that. Properly rerouting cables with really low bars is difficult. Personally, I think they're more trouble than they're worth.

Took for a 30 minute ride down the highway to the weed shop lol and all was well. Right now I'm just trying to figure out what I want since I've decided to keep it. Cleaning up the wiring and cables is on the list for sure. I'm gonna knock that out once I figure out what electrically the dash is going to have going on/what bars I'm gonna ride. Today's test taught me I'm not 19 and my back does NOT like that position anymore from those bars. This is also the first time I've ran these bars and I filled them with buckshot and silicone and WOW fellas this makes an amazing difference in the vibes. I could actually use my mirrors lol

Before and after from today's project.

Attachments

• 20210625_150555.jpg
    20210625_150555.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 141
  • 20210625_172254.jpg
    20210625_172254.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 144
Bike looks good!
I'd be inclined to find a Standard seat or at least a Standard seat pan to swap/fab that Special seat foam and cover over to. My linear eye jams to a screeching halt where the side cover and seat don't match, the dreaded gapsitis.

Bike looks good!
I'd be inclined to find a Standard seat or at least a Standard seat pan to swap/fab that Special seat foam and cover over to. My linear eye jams to a screeching halt where the side cover and seat don't match, the dreaded gapsitis.

I'm with you! The seat is terrible. It's on the list after the rest of the maintenance new carbs and dash is done.

IMG_0083.JPG For laughs I'll throw a pic in of my buddy Willies '78 Standard sporting a Standard seat pan (pan had an aftermarket clunky monster double saddle on it) with a side hinged '78/'79 Special foam. Cover is probably aftermarket. Pic was taken with a potato.

My seat is hinged as well. I really like that. I'm guessing any of the hinged seat pans will work on a 77 frame with hinged seat?

There may be a cutoff date going back in time for a straight swap but '77, '78 and '79 Standard pans will fit.....key word is Standard. Somebody may have the info for pre '77.

74 to 79 Standard seats all have the same pan. the foam shape changed each year on the 77/78/79 standards, it was thicker with an ever increasing rear section for the passenger.

Just compared the 78/79/80G metal side-covers to see if they would sit on a standard frame brackets. The side-cover mounting holes on top would need to be lengthened to fit the standard hangers. The rear hanger would need bending down to fit the shape of the special side-cover. The only advantage to using the special side-covers is they are angled to suit the seat.

Back