What have you done to your XS today?

Shortened a kick stand on a 1980 special, and took off the center stand, since its useless on a bike lowere more than an inch.

Swapped out the pull back, buckhorn bars on my 79 Special II. Looks WAY MO' BETTA!

Attachments

• New Bars.jpg
    New Bars.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 156
I cleaned and installed the petcocks and the gas cap on my XS650B newer replacement tank today. I also derusted and ospho treated the aircleaner access covers. I'll paint them tomorrow.

First time able to ride the 75B since putting new tires, new mufflers & new-ish head pipes on. Immediately noticed an unsteady front end and could see the tire wobble. After getting it home I noticed the bead disappears for about 5 inches...jeez. Back to the local shop it goes.

UM

I finally got around to starting the actual re-wiring of my bike yesterday. I had made countless diagrams over the last couple months, revising and laying out as neat and clean as I could to have an accurate account for anyone who might work on it in the future (including myself). This is my first attempt at a total rewire and can say I think I finally have a pretty good understanding of the circuitry now. I had most of the day to dedicate to it but still have quite a bit to button up. Mostly just actual hookup of lights and coil but I am pretty happy with it so far. I ran a lot of it in nylon expandable sheathing, which took up a great deal of time. I also used factory style billet connectors from Vintage Connection. I had to think ahead of myself a lot before actually heat shrinking everything up. I've never thought of myself as obsessive compulsive before, but this may be leading me to change my mind about that... lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0956.JPG
    IMG_0956.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0957.JPG
    IMG_0957.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 159
Looks good, did you make your own harness? I have that to look forward to. I have wired any number of cars so Im not quite sure why I am somewhat intimidated by this job. the rats nest that has to go in the headlight bucket is enough to keep me up at night and I don't even recognize some of the other components. I think I will use a new stock harness. I imagine most of the installation will become obvious once I get started. It's a long way off so no reason to get stressed now.

Yea I made my own. I reused a majority of the stock harness wires so I could stay somewhat consistent with the stock colors in the manual. A lot of cutting and removing the useless pieces. It's a lot more simplified while still running stock hand controls and blinkers. I made sure to use quality connectors and didn't skimp anywhere. I want to do this job once and do it right. I even went as far as to laminate my diagram since I had access to a laminator. Yea.... I think that's OCD for sure!

Well worth doing! I have had more than one case where something I knew would always be obvious, a year later, wasn't. You can't have too much permanent documentation..

I broke my center stand... Can't use the side stand because the part that holds the spring is broken off of the frame. Went to a buddies house for a visit and got the bike up on the stand and it started leaning. Caught the bike, looked down and noticed the shifter side of the stand is cracked and almost broke off. Yay!

Finished off cleaning a set of BS34's intended for an '80 that I want to get running this week so I can advertise it as a project bike before the snow flies. Hoping to make a bit more garage space.
Also checked over a set of BS34's that I cleaned and tried out this summer and all they did was leak; plastic floats were way out of whack, so set them for 22mm.

Attachments

• SAM_4866.JPG
    SAM_4866.JPG
    328.7 KB · Views: 139
Yes, the tang on the earlier centerstands is prone to breaking, sometimes taking the lower leg and foot with it, lol. Yamaha was aware of the problem and finally added a brace for the last few years .....

82Stand2.jpg

When you repair yours, you should add that bracing as well. Just a small triangle shaped piece of plate is all it takes .....

BracedStand.jpg

Yes, the tang on the earlier centerstands is prone to breaking, sometimes taking the lower leg and foot with it, lol. Yamaha was aware of the problem and finally added a brace for the last few years .....

82Stand2.jpg

When you repair yours, you should add that bracing as well. Just a small triangle shaped piece of plate is all it takes .....

BracedStand.jpg

Not sure if it's repairable...

20161128_190110-jpg.91488

Attachments

• 20161128_190110.jpg
    20161128_190110.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 267
Last edited by a moderator:
Back