What have you done to your XS today?

That 75 may have an extra long tang but I'd find a different stand and change or extend the tang if needed. anything 74 and up will bolt on.

Sure you can fix that, just weld it back together. It looks like it broke and was repaired already, just above the tang. The triangle brace really helps prevent future breaks. It supports and distributes the load you apply to the tang better. I think the braced stand deploys easier too. More of the foot pressure you apply actually gets through to operating the stand instead of being lost to tang flex.

I was starting to think it would never happen but tomorrow my frame and all the misc parts will be off to the powder coater. it is only about 3 months later in the year than I thought it would be. Once done I will assemble the swing arm and steering head and then start in on the various components. Still need to send my intake manifold off to Fineline Coatings in Milwaukee Or. They have coatings for both the inside and outside of the manifold that will protect it from corrosion. Amal carb also needs to go to Lund Machine for casting rebuild. Should be a busy winter.

Attachments

• IMG_1105.JPG
    IMG_1105.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 187
Today I filled her tank with fresh gas and a shot of Stabil. Then I ran the carbs out.

Three months ago I brought her home knowing I had a lot of work to do before I was done. That was about all I knew. Thanks to this forum I learned a whole lot more, and the to do list got longer. I'm looking forward to January when I can get back at it, but until then I'll be in Boston.

Here's Stella trying on her new Craven L rack. And Miles.
IMG_20161128_140200622.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20161128_140826210.jpg
    IMG_20161128_140826210.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 157
This was actually 3 days ago, but refitted the engine of my 76' back in the frame. Just found this thread, can't believe I've missed out on the fun! Resto-mod or bust!

Attachments

• IMG_9181.JPG
    IMG_9181.JPG
    182.3 KB · Views: 198
I wet sanded my tank, The clear coat had developed a large yellowish cataract on top of the tank! Started with 800 then 1200 and finished sanding with 1500, I then used The Novus System polish to remove the dull look, finished with "The Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax"
Here are before and after shots..
1128161824-01-1.jpg
Tank after.jpg

Hadn't ran my 71 in 2 months. After prime kick, turned ign.on, fired first kick, no choke, @ 43*f. Rode to the mail box and back, ran carbs dry

Lately, what have I done to my 650?
1. Installed an Avon AV-54 rear tire . It handles better than the AM-44 and handles way better than the AM-23 road rider. It doesn't wobble on road grooves and is great on dirt roads.
2. Installed a rear fender and light holder from a 78. Kept the 72 lense. Want to save the stock fender since they don't seem to exist anymore. The lenses can be bought from Mikes.
3. Looking for a front fender from a special to preserve the original also.
4. Also installed a new clutch cable from Mikes. It is smooth as silk.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Buy another clutch cable (not from Mike's) and carry it as a spare. You're gonna need it, lol.

Amal carb also needs to go to Lund Machine for casting rebuild. Should be a busy winter.

Fortunately for me, I was able to drop mine off at Lund when he did it several years back. The difference was incredible. No more air coming through the slide bore and it actually idled. Makes me wish I still had my Bonnie. :'( Post some pics when you get it back, I'd love to see the difference.

Buy another clutch cable (not from Mike's) and carry it as a spare. You're gonna need it, lol.
So your not having any luck with a mile's cable? I was reading another thread on the site and he said he just installed a mike's cable and it was smooth as butter. I received brass swing arm bushings and shaft as well as tapered roller bearings for the steering head. I have only checked the swing arm parts but they look and appear to fit very well. It really gets hard to know where to order parts, it seems that people have trouble with everyone"s parts at one time or another.

Replaced both coils, one crapped out due to heat stroke, fitted a new tach cable, it proved a challenge....nice lunch break today to do these jobs before the end of the week...weekend = riding the beast....

Yep it's bloody hot here now, well in the tropics it is....and it sends everyone nuts for a few months of the year...the rest is pure tropical warm days, great for riding. The thing with the heat is it's hard on the bike, keep the oil changes frequent and everything in a good general condition I don't have too many problems, they usually surface before anything major happens anyway.

I found time today to mock up the front forks for the new scrambler project. Has a Bultaco Astro brake drum laced to a 19" rim with Buchanan spokes and Can-Am Betor triple trees and shaved XS lowers. All the controls and grips are Magura. Steering stem was custom made by Cheney Racing. This looks to be foot pegs away from being a unicycle. I could always quit now and put it on CL ( Yamaha XS650 Scrambler project 99% done just needs minor wiring to finish ). Maybe not? Scrambler Forks 001.JPG Scrambler Forks 004.JPG Scrambler Forks 006.JPG Scrambler Forks 007.JPG Scrambler Forks 008.JPG Scrambler Forks 009.JPG Scrambler Forks 012.JPG

Back