1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

What have you done to your XS today?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by I am Carbon, Nov 24, 2013.

Tags:
  1. wrmdovr

wrmdovr If it were easy.....everyone would do it!

hey Gary.......wowee those look awesome......good work! btw....i am looking for a set linked carbs so if you have an "extra" set ;) let me know as i am getting the banana girder for The One Show in Portland, OR. WRMDOVR

gggGary likes this.
  2. Back Porch Choppers

Back Porch Choppers Back Porch Choppers

Texas
    Well, I finished hacking off the trash left behind from the upper frame brace, the mid controle mounts, cut the neck lock off. Now to finish smoothing this sucka out before I weld in the new neck gussets, tank, fender and other mounts.

3. jetmechmarty

jetmechmarty What should I put here? XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I'm doing a service check. Is this pushrod seal is marking the floor, or should I be looking elsewhere.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's cold in the garage, so I'd rather sit by the fire and hang here.

4. gggGary

gggGary I'm listening, change my mind XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

A bit hard to tell, I'd check to see if the sprocket nut is tight for sure. The old saw is to follow clean metal up to the leak. Could, maybe be the starter gearcase cover.

5. Whitecrow

Whitecrow XS650 Member

image.jpeg Mounted up my 750 tank and cut the seat pan to fit. I just need to figure out what I'm going to do with the fugly seat, I hate it.

weekendrider likes this.
  6. WT100

WT100 100 countries or bust!

That tank looks great on it. Direct fit?

7. Jon andriuzzo

Jon andriuzzo XS650 New Member

No You have to take the rubber pucks off the 650 tank and mount them to the frame for the 750 tank, and then bend the little tab thing to bring the tank down a bit. Then I cut off maybe an inch of the seat pan and foam off the front of the seat.

WT100 likes this.
  8. Moonmanzn

Moonmanzn XS650 Enthusiast

Took some advice from Grizld on here and ordered the German Topham TM34 Kit....bike sounds like a racecar now :) 15978255_10154899950984747_21158856_n.jpg 15967331_10155824936733782_190467025_o.jpg 15943192_10155824935633782_1393220474_o.jpg

9. halfmile

halfmile XS Builder XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

kansas
    I found a little time this afternoon to work on fitting a Hayabusa rear set to my XS650. First I pressed out the factory rubber-steel mounting bushings. I didn`t want to cut the stock peg mounting studs off and just drill them out and tap them so I made some concentric`s to adjust the difference in the 2 different mounting hole centers. Now I have to shorten and re thread the linkage rod and it should work. At least it all lines up as it should. If I have to I`ll just make a new shifter shaft bracket and use regular 1/4" rod ends. The brake side is a different story. The stock rear pass peg and muffler mount needs to be removed so I can check the fit and modify as needed. I was going to remove the rear pass mounts from both sides anyway along with the center stand brackets. The Hayabusa master cyl will clear (I think) and should work OK. Might have to use a pressure brake light switch though. Start lever looks like it will clear too?? With a little luck I`ll be in this set up for less than $100 even if I have to buy rod ends. My $500 build-finish this project budget went to "Hell" 2 weeks ago anyway so whats another $100 here and there?

hayabusa rear set 001.JPG hayabusa rear set 004.JPG hayabusa rear set 005.JPG hayabusa rear set 007.JPG hayabusa rear set 008.JPG hayabusa rear set 010.JPG hayabusa rear set 011.JPG

10. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty, Demi & Gretel: I ask, THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Does this mod make it a Suzukaha? :umm:

11. Doug79

Doug79 XS650 Addict

Got the roller bearings in the steering head and the tree mounted. got both calipers refinished rebuilt and ready to back on. New rear master cylinder installed. And the fork legs mostly disassembled..Too cold in the garage so I quit for today. I have to get the 17mm headed bolt to finish taking the forks apart. hope to finish disassembly tomorrow so I can take the lower tubes to the powder coater.

12. halfmile

halfmile XS Builder XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

kansas
    MaxPete. That`s real close. Any more Suzuki parts and I`ll call it a Yamabusa??

MaxPete likes this.
  13. zeroxs650

zeroxs650 XS650 Addict

Took my ride out to work yesterday, unusual warm temps in the Northeast.
    [​IMG]

MaxPete likes this.
  14. jetmechmarty

15. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty, Demi & Gretel: I ask, THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I was going to say....whats that wet stuff all over it?

16. jetmechmarty

We had four inches of snow last weekend and it's over 70 degrees F today. There's sand and gravel all over the pavement, so I washed a couple of them. I feel better now.

17. 660smc

660smc XS650 Member

Cleaned and stored for the winter 20160823_142526.jpg

Greetings from the snowy Switzerland

bigdawg and gggGary like this.
  18. Doug79

Doug79 XS650 Addict

We are showed and iced in so heated up the garage and drilled out my damper tubes, packed up my 2 into 1 intake manifold to ship it to the ceramic coater. got my fork sliders, chain guard and brake pedal cleaned and ready to go to the powder coater, hopefully tomorrow,. Ordered a good set of used OEM fork tubes to replace my pitted ones and packed up my 389 Amal to be sent out to be board and sleeved back to stock demintions. I also have coming a three wheel stud puller. I am going to practice on my extra cases and figure out the best way to get them out. While I am waiting for the puller, I am hitting them several times a day with a 50/50 mixture of Acatone and ATF. Said to be the best penetrating solution Hot Rod Mag. has ever found. We'll see. I'll apply a little Propane torch heat and see what happens.

19. azman857

azman857 '80 XS 650SG Rider XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I'm waiting for the POR-15 tank sealer kit to show up.

20. gggGary

gggGary I'm listening, change my mind XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Get each stud good and warm/hot but not glowing with a propane torch or heat gun, then use the the stud puller. They are "locktited" the heat will soften it. Trust dummy, that's the (only) way to do it. Once they are heated even a single wheel puller will do it.

Meh
    [​IMG]

Yeah

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017