What have you done to your XS today?

With some trial and error and some educated guesses and just plain luck, I got my SG started and idling smoothly! Got her to rev up a time or 2. That PAMCO w/ the E-advance really smoothed out the Idle. I still have to time the ignition with the timing light and sync the carbs, but MAN did she sound super-smooth!

I'm challenged in that area. Making video's that is...

My bike has a mind of its own. And hates mirrors. Lol. Either throws them off while in the freeway or I drop and break them. And tried my top speed speed again today with changing the timing a bit. Got break up at 88mph. Reset timing to what I had before. And still breaking up high 80's mph. It was nice in 70's. So I start to think wtf. I did remove my spike filter thing. Since I was going to work on getting it to both carbs. But I put it back on. Took it for a ride but wasn't able to get it up over 85 due to traffic. But it runs like a raped ape!!!! I will be surprised if the extra tubing is giving it a Venturi affect and making it go over 90mph.

Put in new clutch push rod seal, new output shaft (sprocket) seal, and added a new TC Bros gold 530 chain.

Attachments

• new seals.jpg
    new seals.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 140
I want a gold chain. That's on my next to buy list. Along with 18t front sprocket.
Well. I guess that pipe is helping. Got up to 92mph. Accelerates much smoother and quickly. But have it more throttle and it started to break up. I'm guessing leaning out. I have 180 main in my vm34. Will bump up to 185. And I am going to add a pipe to other carb to see if it improves. Will keep you guys posted

Decided to finally remove a link from the chain due to sprocket change. Back yard wrenching!! Don't have a garage or table/lift to work on. And the bare minimum on tools. But I try my hardest and get things done :)
A698E1EC-7E64-4810-854C-CA7B181C778E.jpg

Jake, here is a better shot of the front left side of my bike.
A65D3E19-2159-4987-A44B-F2719A0CD096.jpg

Added pipe to left side. To even it out some. Now if I get to 95 mph top speed just by adding the pipe ... Woahhhhh. Testing it tomorrow.
40E1DD04-154C-40D8-B62C-50FB3413E21E.jpg

Last edited:
Will do jake :) Runs a bit smoother with chain properly adjusted too.
Thanks JD. yes that is a DNA springer. It runs real good. Straight strong and wants to go eat up more road and spit it out:bike:. Front shock helps. Along with the rake on the bike. Now if I could only get the vibes to reduce from the handle bars. (That's my next thing to tackle)

And added a killer toe peg :)
B74F2C68-5C14-406D-9F8E-8CC2E9AEA573.jpg

I love zip ties.
Today I went on a ride and the pipe on the left carb didn't give me any extra mph. I didn't like the look above. Or the look with just uni filter on left side original location. So I came up with this :)
both carbs are feeding off the spike filter.
DF9B1202-F5F1-47B5-AC52-EBB81C7F72B5.jpg

5A9B8B76-481A-4326-9F0E-746A4645A78E.jpg

Nope. It's all about the illusions ....
71E4E459-0222-48D5-A50C-FA368A2EEF58.jpg

Messed around with carbs. Moved clip to middle position.(was on 2nd from top ) Started to break up at around 75mph. So I decided to move all the way to the top groove. And ran great. Pulled solid. Took up to 82. And ran great. So time to move some brass around.

I also started tackling the vibration at handle bars. Read up and wanted to add some rubber to dampen some of the vibes. Added some rubber under the risers.
DCAD9659-08F5-476A-BA8D-F6D6D2E30AFB.jpg

Then I went ahead and cut inner tube strip to roll around the handlebars. Used some tape to hold it on tight.
4C8761C9-3EE7-4A92-B9E5-FAF6C851AC70.jpg

115E71F1-3959-4508-AEC1-A877D5E67A09.jpg

Then filled bars with dirt and mashed up rocks.
Wasn't able to ride. But will test it put tomorrow.
Also after breaking a few mirrors and some that my bike threw off. I decided to buy 2 foldable mirrors(they are aluminum so they won't break and put red Loctite on all screws) hope this is the last pair I need to buy.
Used the mirror brackets I had left from the many mirrors I went through And made brake line holders out of them. Pics coming tomorrow.

image3_zps92ec3cb6.jpg

pulled engine to rebuild, turned axles to fit iron head rear drum wheel and a mini drum up front. mounted tires and got me a roller. Rebuilt and shaved forks, shaved trees and put new neck bearings in. Im happy with the stance and will hopefully get a lot more done next weekend, but it is my bday so we'll see. I will at least get drunk and stare at the bike. Thanks to my good buddies down in Salem. They are kind enough to lend me their garage and guest room on the weekends to build this guy since I now live in an apartment. They rule.

Last edited:
Bike stil vines like crazy. Rubber and filled bars helped a very very lil bit. But dropping needle made my bike run good. I'm at the very top clip on needle. Will swap in 25 pj from 27.5 and see what happens. But did get new top mph

B98936EA-1322-49E4-90C1-A3170D3235B1.png

Also found an OG guide to replace my repro headlight. This headlight is a quality peice. Brass trim rings just sets it off!!!!
CCDD09D5-3094-47B2-AEBA-B839390B0A6B.jpg

Also got this tractor light with headlight deal. For a steal !!
The patina and lens was nice!!! Goes well with my bike. Thought of putting it up front. But decided to fill some of that dreaded open space due to hardtail stretch. It's an acc light, rear fog, clearance light, taillight look. Has switch on housing so will only come on at night. Might go with wiring up to my brake light.

9D712F3A-4F97-49BF-8873-CBD571848ED7.jpg

Last edited:
Back