What have you done to your XS today?

btw is that your scoot in your bio picture? That thing is mean!

Yes it is my bike. Been a work in progress for the last 15 or so months. Runs good...now lol! :laugh2:
20190303_161333.jpg

Hi ramblin,
dontcha just want to beat on the cheapskate who dreamed up coining the bezel on instead of having it threaded into place?
And your tach face ain't even sun-faded either so it's well worth the effort of re-prying the bezel now that you've learned the trick of it.
Rather than prying up the bezel's rear flange to access my speedo's loose face I cut it into two C-shapes with a thin Dremel wheel and pulled them off sideways. Stuck 'em back again with epoxy. Warning! That trick only works once.
BTW, until you decide on fix vs replace, pull the tach drive cable inner.

Well, since you cautioned about the tach cable, I went ahead and repryed the bezel and fixed the needle. Works fine now, but the damper is really a mess now, so I think I'll still swap it out when the replacement comes in.

Thanks.

Ramblin5, if you didn't put Locktite on the tach face plate screws, they will probably vibrate out again. I recently fixed this issue on mine. Gary's "pry-open" technique works well but I found the electrical tape pulled flecks of the paint off the bezel ring when I removed it. I think I will be using a ring of plastic cut from an empty chip dip or cottage cheese container in the future. It should protect the bezel sides from the hose clamp without sticking to them and pulling the paint off.

I think what caused my problem in the first place was worn damper mounts. The tach was loose in the housing and could shake around. I added o-rings to the damper rubbers, shimming them, and this tightened things up.

News Flash - Motorcycles Banned from the Cabot Trail!!
Motorcylces Banned from Cabot Trail

Hi Pete,
yeah, right. As if.
Mind you, the Cabot Trail is a dangerous place to ride a motorcycle.
Perfect for a pillion passenger who can admire those wonderful views but if the rider takes his eyes
off the road for the briefest moment; bike, rider & passenger will PDQ become part of the scenery.

Past noon in 'toontown so I can post a serious reply to this topic.
I took the first step of my sidecar swap by removing the XS650's centre-stand.
It's been years since the last time and I'd forgotten how incredibly strong the return spring is.
Still remembered the "First, remove the pivot bolts" rule though.

Not much. Took a package on base to get it into the mail system. Rode it to Burger King for some Breakfast. Then home. It's early yet. More adventures to happen. Maybe.

Ramblin5, if you didn't put Locktite on the tach face plate screws, they will probably vibrate out again. I recently fixed this issue on mine. Gary's "pry-open" technique works well but I found the electrical tape pulled flecks of the paint off the bezel ring when I removed it. I think I will be using a ring of plastic cut from an empty chip dip or cottage cheese container in the future. It should protect the bezel sides from the hose clamp without sticking to them and pulling the paint off.

I think what caused my problem in the first place was worn damper mounts. The tach was loose in the housing and could shake around. I added o-rings to the damper rubbers, shimming them, and this tightened things up.

Yep, my damper is good and messed up now. Will replace it and the bezel with that off the used replacement I'm getting from azman857.

The damper mounts I was talking about are the little top hat shaped ones on the bottom mounting studs. These are the mounts that hold the instrument into it's housing.

The damper mounts I was talking about are the little top hat shaped ones on the bottom mounting studs. These are the mounts that hold the instrument into it's housing.

Gotcha. Those are good on mine. I'm talking about the rubber around the bezel on mine needs to be replaced.

Well, they may look good but could still be squished down. If they are, they don't allow the mounting nuts to pull the instrument down into the housing enough to compress that big upper ring.

Well, they may look good but could still be squished down. If they are, they don't allow the mounting nuts to pull the instrument down into the housing enough to compress that big upper ring.
I'll check them out. Thanks.

20190401_164708.jpg
Showing Its Best Side!
Max Pete and I drove to the big smoke Sunday where I bought two and a half bikes. A 77, a 78 (the one shown) and a 78 Special.
The photo is misleading as the 78 is not nearly as nice or complete as it appears. However, it has good bones and I will try to wake it up to determine if the admited head gasket leak is simply a matter of a retorque.
The 77 has been detabbed for a cafe bike and came with 2 nice XS750 tanks and freshly respoked wheels. Both of these have titles/ownerships.
The 78 Special is a bare frame and motor with no ownership yet, but I am working on that. All machines matching number FWIW.
Drove through the remnants of a March going out like a lion snowstorm.

Back