What have you done to your XS today?

I know, I know, it doesn't seem like me huh. I need something else to give the ‘77 a break though and keep it pristine. I think it gets lonely sitting there all by itself. Plus I wouldn't feel bad about playing around with custom work on the special. I’m seeing black/white flying monkey grips, chrome apes, extended fork tubes, white wall tires and possibly a hardtail with a king/queen seat. Wild child 70’s chop

I know, it really looks pretty cool the way it is. If I could find one of those cool stock king/queen seats for it, the whitewalls and grips, and maybe a fancy aftermarket exhaust would be enough to give it a little chopper style flare without hacking anything. I really like that metallic purple. Not an easy color to pull off, but it really works on that bike.

77 XS650 ( close to stock) 500 miles and replaced two Wagner headlights. The little bulb inside the lite kept breaking and falling down into the light. You can see the little bulb in the bottom of this pix laying inside the lite.
Broken lite.jpg

Removed Reserve Lighting Unit. Did the Jumper mod to harness so head light warning lite wouldn't glow. R&R headlight with Optronics #HLL93HLBP, 7 inch round 11 diode LED. Amazon about $140 bucks! Woof. Light fit perfect with exception of the rubber gasket around the light. Too tight for the ring. Saved the rubber gasket and used one turn of Scotch #2242 "Rubber" Electrical tape trimmed in the rear. Headlight ring then fit perfectly, plugged right in and no ballast to worry about. It looks catty-whompass because of how I'm holding the phone. Kind of an uneven adjust space around the light ring and housing but not due to the Light. It is bright. Voltmeter shows normal charge as always. Has to be less load on the system? Time will tell.
LED.jpg

I put the bike back together (again). And the clutch is now really loose. So I tighten all the way and it’s almost at its limit. So quick question .... when the clutch basket is installed does it have any play or is it solid installed ?

I put the bike back together (again). And the clutch is now really loose. So I tighten all the way and it’s almost at its limit. So quick question .... when the clutch basket is installed does it have any play or is it solid installed ?

maybe missing one of the balls at the clutch worm gear or if it has the 2 piece rod the one in the middle. Cannot remember if there is another on the end at the basket. Something to look at ask me how I know lol :whistle:

Tekk220,
If you have a stock clutch, and I think even with the one piece pushrod, when all the slack is out of the clutch you will only have a couple of adjuster threads sticking up above the little lock nut. There is a book, "The Yamaha XS 650 Engine" By Hans J. Pahl. I highly recommend it!
Thu

Yeah, so this post was meant in a sarcastic and humorous way. Maybe I’m a little jaded, but as far as I’m concerned if she actually broke up with me for spending my own money on something I want, that’s her mistake, not mine. As long as I’m meeting my end of the bargain financially, which I am, whatever I do outside of that is my own business. We’re not married. This bike is just absolutely stunning and for the price it is just driving me nuts.
View attachment 162183
View attachment 162185 View attachment 162184
2,000.00 for this- new tires and he claims it runs and rides nice.
Offer him $1100. I'll bet you a six pack you'll get it.

So, I got this '83 Heritage Special with 6,800 miles back in December, and it was barely running, and the front caliper was frozen.
Haggled down from $1250 to $700.
It had sat for 14 years, from what I've been able to put together.
Not charging.
She has been in my winter workshop since that time, unable to be started, as its indoors.
Replaced the master cylinder, brake line, rebuilt the caliper.
Rebuilt the carbs, and dismantled most of the bike to clean, inspect.

Received the rebuilt rotor from Jim today, it looks great !
Rotorjim.jpg

Buttoned up the left case, having replaced the clutch rod bushing.
Yeah, OK Bob, there's still a bit of grime, but I don't scrub like you do !

XStoday1.jpg

Went to the DMV to transfer plates from Jimi, the '80,
and pulled her out for a first startup, and it's first time hitting the road !

XStoday2.jpg

Charging 14.65v @ 2,500, sweet ! :D

The centerstand, now greased, works easily.
She shifts into neutral nicely at the stop sign.
Clutch is smooth and effortless.
no leaks !

Black is becoming one of my favorite colors.

XStoday3.jpg

The '82 now joins her brothers in the garage,

XStoday4.jpg

....and will this year be my dedicated Catskill Mountains excursion bike.

Jimi, who has been a great pal for a couple years, exits to the barn out back.
But I will take good care of him, for sure.
We have had some great times together.

Jimi.smaller.jpg

That boy is more than a pretty face, I swear. :) Good info too! Jim, you da' man!

Ohhh yeah, I got a 78 CB750 too. Hope I don't have a problem but , Jim your my first go to!
:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back