What have you done to your XS today?

Put a solid 22 miles on my bike today and the break is going ok so far. I start to think that I should do a compression test and time it again and adjust the carbs. Every now and then is spits a sputters. And sometimes I'd give it some more throttle gradually and then engine suddenly changed tune from.normal to really shaky until I let off. I cant really describe it right. I don't have an rpm guage that work to monitor any sudden changes in those moments.

A strange thing happened that worried me a lot. I was cruising at about 40mph and suddenly the bike started to slow down hard and nose dive slightly(I maybe have imagined the nose dive) as if it was seizing and then broke free. That's what inspired me to thinking about a compression test. Everything felt fine after that but it was very unsettling.

Last edited:
It's been a bit cold and wet to ride but I did get the front caliper working better on the 83. The bike insurance was due so I thought I'd ride the bike to pay the bill. Rode to 12 miles up there and this Corona Virus has the office shut down. Rode the long way home, another 20 miles or so to call the office to pay the bill.
The brake worked great. Ran great accept for at one point it died. I lifted my hand off the throttle to hold in front of headlight to check both beams were working. When I put my hand back on throttle I bumped the kill switch to off.
I do need to get some warmer gloves. My hands did get a bit cold on the ride. High 40's today.
Felt great to be out. My face started to hurt, the big ole grin did it.
Leo

I’m asking because a beautiful xs just popped up locally and it’s been burning a hole in my mind all day. The price seems really good. I’m weighing the costs of spending my pandemic stimulus before it’s even announced. I could try to play it off as intending it for her to ride, but she has basically shut down most suggestions to learn how to ride. Most likely scenario would be the girlfriend breaks up with me, but then she’d have to buy me out to make me move out so I’d be gettin even more money. But then I’d be up a bike and down a garage....the gears are a turnin. I was never good at math

Most likely scenario would be the girlfriend breaks up with me, but then she’d have to buy me out to make me move out so I’d be gettin even more money. But then I’d be up a bike and down a garage....

I'll help you with the maths - you'd also be down a girlfriend.

Put a solid 22 miles on my bike today and the break is going ok so far. I start to think that I should do a compression test and time it again and adjust the carbs. Every now and then is spits a sputters. And sometimes I'd give it some more throttle gradually and then engine suddenly changed tune from.normal to really shaky until I let off. I cant really describe it right. I don't have an rpm guage that work to monitor and sudden changes in those moments.

A strange thing happened that worried me a lot. I was cruising at about 40mph and suddenly the bike started to slow down hard and nose dive slightly(I maybe have imagined the nose dive) as if it was seizing and then broke free. That's what inspired me to thinking about a compression test. Everything felt fine after that but it was very unsettling.
Problems with compression show up constantly, not intermittently.
Its more likely that you've got degradation in the connections of the power running to your ignition.
Check the integrity of the connections of the brown wires in your headlight bucket.
Make sure your kill switch and ignition switch are clean.

In regards to a Compression test: the most important numbers are going to be whether or not the cylinders are nearly equal.
Compression testers vary a good deal as to their absolute value. If you're interested in the absolute values, borrow or rent 3 of them and compare.

20200319_062035.jpg

Lakeview, that front tire, is it a Dunlop 591 ?
:umm:

Most likely scenario would be the girlfriend breaks up with me, but then she’d have to buy me out to make me move out so I’d be gettin even more money. But then I’d be up a bike and down a garage....

I'll help you with the maths - you'd also be down a girlfriend.
Yeah, so this post was meant in a sarcastic and humorous way. Maybe I’m a little jaded, but as far as I’m concerned if she actually broke up with me for spending my own money on something I want, that’s her mistake, not mine. As long as I’m meeting my end of the bargain financially, which I am, whatever I do outside of that is my own business. We’re not married. This bike is just absolutely stunning and for the price it is just driving me nuts.
0363715D-3F84-444C-8F12-4D78DF142EB8.jpeg

1275DF6B-2E92-4A02-BD95-0560F60BDAEC.jpeg
1CCEA037-5175-47E1-8BE9-FE355C524823.jpeg

2,000.00 for this- new tires and he claims it runs and rides nice.

Last edited:
Yeah, so this post was meant in a sarcastic and humorous way. Maybe I’m a little jaded, but as far as I’m concerned if she actually broke up with me for spending my own money on something I want, that’s her mistake, not mine. As long as I’m meeting my end of the bargain financially, which I am, whatever I do outside of that is my own business. We’re not married. This bike is just absolutely stunning and for the price it is just driving me nuts.
View attachment 162183
View attachment 162185 View attachment 162184
2,000.00 for this- new tires and he claims it runs and rides nice.
Nice thing about a bike is you only have to worry about it getting knocked down not up.:D

The Dunlop tires are stamped made in USA and came with the bike. They are well past the sell by date - DOT code is 359. PO bought tires first and then got the grinder going. I bought the bike as a bare frame and a bunch of parts boxes.
I am aware of the perils of old tires.

Back