What have you done to your XS today?

Hey, Carbon! There's scuff lines on the side of the claw, as though it's rubbing on the side of the starplate. Might need to do a little rebending so that the claw naturally falls centered. Also, check the shiftshaft retainer under the sprocket, and shiftshaft sideplay...

Hey, Carbon! There's scuff lines on the side of the claw, as though it's rubbing on the side of the starplate. Might need to do a little rebending so that the claw naturally falls centered. Also, check the shiftshaft retainer under the sprocket, and shiftshaft sideplay...

TwoMany Hey Man. thanks for that bit knowledge.
So when I held the shift rod inplace the claw lined up in the center.
But with the side to side play it is easly pushed to the outside of the star.
The side play of a maybe 3mm or 4mm seams like a shim under the circlip is in order.
I put the clutch back in and am getting ready to shim the shift rod
I also think the claw came off the star while I was installing the shift arm it's a little tight I was tapping it on the shaft. I was having some trouble getting it on.

Thats good to hear Man
Don't look to bad.
Oh I need all the good luck I can get. Thanks Bro.

Not sure why the selector popped out but I had put it back into place before I took the clutch apart.Now that I have it apart looks like I could have left the basket in place.
Sure don't like the part about not knowing why.

isnt that held in place by a c clip on the other side of the motor?

sorry did not see your last post about the clip

isnt that held in place by a c clip on the other side of the motor?

sorry did not see your last post about the clip

Yes sir it is

Looks like I'm going to remove it and put a washer under it to take out some of that slack. I'll check out the operation again.
After that I will put the covers back on

just got the shift shaft guard off. And low and behold I don't need to put a shim washer in there. I need to put in the washer that is suppost to be in there.
All that is in the is the circlip up against the seal.
It should be like in the 2nd pic

Attachments

• 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 128
Today I mounted a voltmeter between my mini tach and mini speedo. works perfect 1 inch diameter. Camera is not working or I would post pictures.

Posted via Mobile

Today I mounted a voltmeter between my mini tach and mini speedo. works perfect 1 inch diameter. Camera is not working or I would post pictures.

Posted via Mobile
Interesting, how did you wire it (straight to battery)?

Yes, you will need a switch between the unit and battery or it will remain on all the time.

Posted via Mobile

Very cool...i bet you could tap into the switched power, maybe the running lights, or something similar.

Where did you get it from?

Well I snatched a washer from one of my others engines
It's a little easier to get the circlip off than it is to get on.
After fumbling around for about 10 minutes I had to come up with a better plan.
So what I did was get a small neodyne magnet placed it on the shiftshaft then stuck the circlip to the magnet. I pushed them both into the small space right next to the washer.
I used 14" long needle nose pliers to squeeze the clip into place.
Now I can put this girl back together
Edit: I got the engine back together it's lunch time I'm going to go get oil before I do anything more.
Then back to where I was couple days ago. torque the rotor nut. then finding TDC.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 137
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 134
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 134
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

Posted via Mobile

That's a great addition to your bike Tony:thumbsup:

What a huge celebration it will be when every XS650 in the world has finally installed a voltmeter:cheers:

Today: Tried to get a recently acquired '80 650 running.. No spark!.

Last Monday: Cut the frame off on my '78 650 bobber project and will be welding my TC Bros hardtail!

Last Monday: Cut the frame off on my '78 650 bobber project and will be welding my TC Bros hardtail!

Hi Mike,
there's a PEI list member who was looking for some kinda rear suspension to weld onto his XS650 hardtail because he claims the Provincial traffic nazis won't let him register the bike as it's got no rear suspension.
Just maybe you could sell him your sawn-off arse end?

Last night I put TDC marked on the PMA.
put the oil in, checked for more loose bolts. found 2
This morning after it warms up I will check timming, check the cam chain tension,
Then It's riding time
thanks TwoMany

Back