What have you done to your XS today?

I play Weissenborn acoustic Guitar - lap steel. That count?

Sure does. I never got to know much about lap guitars. I could never get the hang of a slide. I currently play a cheap Japanese classical guitar i got at a thrift store for $10. The brand is "Camelot". Definitely wasn't designed to be a good, long lasting guitar but for some reason I love the balance of the volume and the tone compared to my other Yamaha classical. I also have an electric guitar. A Tiesco from 1965 which is another cheap Japanese guitar which has surprisingly good tone as well.

The guitar is the instrument of the people.

Last edited:
Most of the music ( Old time) is just 3 and 4 cord music anyway. I like Old Crow Medicine Show and play a lot of their stuff.
Oh man, wrong thread for this chit chat...
Yeah, I bet I spent $200 bucks today flipping thru E-bay looking at 77 Yam stuff. Some of it is listed many times, but I did score a set of Yamaha clip-on hiway pegs. I'm not a big fan of hiway pegs but they say "Yamaha" on them. Chrome, no rubber. I may modify them. Have to get them in hand to see. I also got dibs on a couple rear racks. I figure it's easier to modify them than start from scratch? Anywho, some of those prices! Really! Nos Point Plate, $300 bucks...makes me want to slap em! One cat wants $250 for a rear rack, used! I'd get bungie cord and a milk crate before I did that! Bas***ds!

Last edited:
I've never heard of that. I'll have to give it a listen. Simple 3/4 chord songs just chugging along are fun to play for sure. I tend to get trapped in endless loops with that kinda stuff(in a good way)

Ever heard of Merle Travis or John Fahey? Ragtime guitarists.

On my 77; From the bottom of the tree clamp to the top of the dust cover is 5 inches with a 3/4 tank of gas and the bike on the side stand.
When I raise the bike off the side stand, the forks compress under the bikes weight 5/8th inch.
( I'm starting to see Metric smoke out the ears...) When I mount and put my weight on the bike the forks compress another 3/4 inch. If I brake normally, the forks compress as much as 2 1/2 inches more. I think the springs are too soft? I may need to put a 3/4 inch spacer under the cap bolt.

Last edited:
On my 77; From the bottom of the tree clamp to the top of the dust cover is 5 inches with a 3/4 tank of gas and the bike on the side stand.
When I raise the bike off the side stand, the forks compress under the bikes weight 5/8th inch.
( I'm starting to see Metric smoke out the ears...) When I mount and put my weight on the bike the forks compress another 3/4 inch. If I brake normally, the forks compress as much as 2 1/2 inches more. I think the springs are too soft? I may need to put a 3/4 inch spacer under the cap bolt.
From what I understand the fork springs were weak to begin with, and with age are probably shot. Plus you never know what a PO might have done. My bike is pretty much all original, but when I went to rebuild
My forks two winters ago, I found my spring setup is definitely not stock. Best to buy some quality springs. Make sure to replace your seals if you’re going to go to the trouble. Just replacing my seals and adding the proper amount of new fluid made a world of difference for me and eliminated my brake dive.

From what I understand the fork springs were weak to begin with, and with age are probably shot. Plus you never know what a PO might have done. My bike is pretty much all original, but when I went to rebuild
My forks two winters ago, I found my spring setup is definitely not stock. Best to buy some quality springs. Make sure to replace your seals if you’re going to go to the trouble. Just replacing my seals and adding the proper amount of new fluid made a world of difference for me and eliminated my brake dive.

TZ, I bet your right. I have original shocks. I also tore them down, cleaned and reassembled them. I'm running 10 weight fork oil. I may go back to a heavier weight. ( The 77 fork tubes are different from any others) For my type of riding they suit me fine. I just think they need to be a little stiffer. If I were to put a "lunch bag" under the light, my samich would get smurched in a panic stop. :laugh2:

TZ, I bet your right. I have original shocks. I also tore them down, cleaned and reassembled them. I'm running 10 weight fork oil. I may go back to a heavier weight. ( The 77 fork tubes are different from any others) For my type of riding they suit me fine. I just think they need to be a little stiffer. If I were to put a "lunch bag" under the light, my samich would get smurched in a panic stop. :laugh2:
LOL

I adjusted my timing chain yesterday to see if it helped the "ticking" I was hearing. Haven't started it to see, but it only ticks after it's good and warm. Hummmm. I need to check the timing now. I probably should pull the sump and see if there is any tensioner rubber down in there, but I just changed the oil. I only pull the sump every other oil change. ( and I don't change my oil every 60 days if the bike has only been sitting! :cautious:)

I adjusted my timing chain yesterday to see if it helped the "ticking" I was hearing. Haven't started it to see,
Interesting, for a couple XS's and years I did exactly as you describe. And read occasionally of adjusting the cam chain with the engine idling.. na, I got it right? Well, one day I too popped the acorn cap off and "tweaked" the adjustment back and forth a little. Damn, Even Better !
Give it a shot idling?
-R

Depending upon how you use the bike, that's probably OK. The XS650 came with progressive wound springs, at least mine did. That first bit collapses easily. For too much collapse on braking, raise the fork oil level. I'm at 130 mm from the top with forks collapsed fully, and springs removed. 5Twins has written about the same simple modification. Do not use heavier oil for this. It only serves to slow high speed damping. It sorta does the opposite of what the Minton Mods did. You'll get a harsh ride. I find spacers to be troublesome in progressive springs. The lower spring rate gets taken up to the point you lose it. To correct the laden sag, the best option is stiffer springs. Since I'm not a fan of progressive wound springs, I have no clue how to source them in correct stiffness. My own running XS650 rides on stock front suspension, 10 wt oil filled higher than stock and I'm quite content with it. I weigh over 200 lbs.

Last edited:
Been a great day. Spotted a canary yellow Lincoln on my way home with my daughter this morning. Had to show her up close.
View attachment 164200
View attachment 164201

I’ve had three of these cars, two white and the most recent one baby blue; with a white coach top and turbine alloys just like this one. It was my daily driver when I met her mother. We had some wild times in that car. Always made me think of Billy Joels’ “It’s still rocknroll to me”. “Nowadays you can’t get too sentimental- your best bet’s a true baby blue Continental” One of my favorite cars I’ve had. Took the bike out for a lil spin to get warmed up, down to the parts store for some oil and fuel line, then Changed the oil and the plugs, and retarded the timing a bit since I adjusted the cam chain a few days ago. When she’s cool I’ll check the valves. I have new pegs on order from amazon, same style as the old ones I used to have on it, only chrome instead of unfinished aluminum. Mirrors are supposed to be here by Friday. Should have everything installed and tuned by May 1st, just in time for some real weather. Took a pic in the O Reilly parking lot cause it was just lookin so good.
View attachment 164202
Happy Zombie Jesus day
you could "park" an XS650 on the front bumper apron. no need for a carrier.

Thanks JMM, I'll try more oil. May be just the ticket. :thumbsup:
Machine, TZ, Yep, I have adjusted mine idling and static. Was cold out yesterday. Had Rain and hail the size of marbles.
hail.jpg

I Yamaed up, lifted her skirt, pulled the plugs and adjusted the chain. Easier to turn the engine with the plugs out, doncha know. 52 and blowing today and 36 tonight, so I may wait to do a run to warm her up. It will be 63 tomorrow and 69 Thursday. :rock:
Thanks,
Thu

20200414_174932.jpg

The cam don't look to hot. Neither do the rockers
I got from Mikes Xs
15869019318988651176718600675461.jpg
Pretty fucked up. Not even slightly hard.

Do you think its time for a new cam?

Attachments

• 20200414_181352.jpg
    20200414_181352.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 176
Back