What have you done to your XS today?

From your pics it looks like you have a oiling problem. Rockers only turn colors and look like that when run dry. Before you blame the parts you might want to look deeper into your engine.
upload_2020-4-14_17-24-13.png
upload_2020-4-14_17-25-43.png

The rockers are as old as the rebuild which is about 250-300 miles. The old rockers had the same wear pattern but they weren't burnt and the cam never was scored like that. Geez

The rockers are as old as the rebuild which is about 250-300 miles. The old rockers had the same wear pattern but they weren't burnt and the cam never was scored like that. Geez
You have a oiling problem. Notice how much heat was concentrated at the pads. Lack of hard surfacing won't do that. Lack of oil will.

well, huh. Have you run a small jewelers file across the face of a lifter? One cam lobe looks brinelled but it may be grease or oil. Can't tell.

You have a oiling problem. Notice how much heat was concentrated at the pads. Lack of hard surfacing won't do that. Lack of oil will.
Oil could be. I've never seen a set of Mikes lifters. Could be they just case hardened the business end (colored) and that's what were looking at? I don't know.

I've never seen a set of Mikes lifters. Could be they just case hardened the business end (colored) and that's what were looking at?
I've never seen Mikes rockers either. But I've seen enough engine and other failures to see lack of lubrication problems going on here.

I think I found a big fuck up from the PO. I took off the oil and pump and....
I am missing item #4... the piece that holds in the rotor. So the oil pump wasn't doing anything at all...

But the strange thing is, whenever I took off the covers to adjust the valves there was always oil there. It didn't seem like there was a lack of oil either

Attachments

• 15869049566801147051443293488925.jpg
    15869049566801147051443293488925.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
When you build a new motor, it takes a LOT of kicking and turning to get oil pressure up to the head. I tried my best to get to see oil run into the lifters by looking into the lifter adjustments port. Never did see it. But I had double checked all passages and felt good about the first start. I also had plenty of assembly lube on the top end! Can't get crazy with the Yamabond either.

I've seen enough engine and other failures to see lack of lubrication problems going on here.
GLJ, that's good to know.

Oil pump? Wondering how it ran 250 to 300 miles like that? I tnink there are spirt holes for the ConRods. All it was getting was splash? Motor must be tougher in places than I thought it was.

I think I found a big fuck up from the PO. I took off the oil and pump and....
I am missing item #4... the piece that holds in the rotor. So the oil pump wasn't doing anything at all...

But the strange thing is, whenever I took off tge covers to adjust the valves there was always oil there. It didn't seem like there was a lack of oil either
That would do it.
Should have had a "dry" sound at top when running. If you've never heard a motor run dry you may not have noticed. Next time you will.

That would do it.
Should have had a "dry" sound at top when running. If you've never heard a motor run dry you may not have noticed. Next time you will.
I hope I don't ever hear that. Yep, I feel for ya, Tiesco.

I have no idea how it ran that long. The bike never sounded like it was hurting or anything.. It shifts find and drives fine and runs fine. It sounded completely normal.. The only thing that was weird was the valves ticking like hell after adjusting them more and more frequently.

I'm sure the rest of the motor like the crank snd the transmission is probably ok. I hope anyway. They are at least partially submerged in oil.

And somehow. Just enough oil was getting to the top to make me believe that there is not an oiling problem. I dont know how that possible if the rotor isn't spinning.

I don't want to steal your thread but I've always wondered, when the rubber on the guides turns loose, if it wouldn't stop something up. Like why does the sump filter blow out when it's on the suction side? ( not the first time I been AFU, and won't be the last, but just asking)
Good thing it's a wet sump system or you would have known something was wrong way before now.

Oil pump? Wondering how it ran 250 to 300 miles like that? I tnink there are spirt holes for the ConRods. All it was getting was splash? Motor must be tougher in places than I thought it was.
It is a tough motor. Roller bearings don't need a lot of oil. Plus he probable wasn't running it all that hard. The assembly lube I use lasts for a long time on bearings and pistons.
It shifts find and drives fine and runs fine.
Trans only needs oil in the cases. Doesn't need pump.
The only thing that was weird was the valves ticking like hell after adjusting them more and more frequently.
It was trying to tell you it had a problem.

I have no idea how it ran that long. The bike never sounded like it was hurting or anything.. It shifts find and drives fine and runs fine. It sounded completely normal.. The only thing that was weird was the valves ticking like hell after adjusting them more and more frequently.

I'm sure the rest of the motor like the crank snd the transmission is probably ok. I hope anyway. They are at least partially submerged in oil.

And somehow. Just enough oil was getting to the top to make me believe that there is not an oiling problem. I dont know how that possible if the rotor isn't spinning.

Well the timing chain picks some of it up. There is a heavy oil mist in the crank case but the small end of the ConRod, certain portions of the crank, take a look at the oiling system flow to see where oil pressure was required. Those could be problem areas.

Back