What have you done to your XS today?

Totally agreed on all counts. I was tempted to get black hoops from mikes when I rebuilt
My wheels but I didn't want to change the classic look too much. Gaiters are still on my list

Feelin pretty good this morning-
Perhaps with the help of a tailwind, according to my speedo, I did :bow:the TON :bow2: this morning. In my perfecto, No less. :rock: The jacket was NOT uncomfortable with only a T shirt underneath. I was wearing a pretty thick flannel the other day when it was bothering me, and I noticed last night when wearing the flannel that the shirt itself was cutting into my armpits when I reach forward. I’m going to stick with this jacket and commit to getting back in shape. With a little luck I can gain a little more room, but the ride this morning was perfectly comfortable. 90% of my riding is in hot weather anyway, so I’ll just have to get creative with layering for the colder months. I’m pretty sure I don’t like this new handlebar setup. I’ll probably swap back to my buckhorns this weekend.

Last edited:
After my little ride yesterday morning, I decided to turn my highway pegs to the inside. On the outside it looked like curb feelers on a 50 Buick or a Cat Fish! Have to keep them folded, when not riding, to keep from hangin something on them. Going down the road with my legs spread wide was not comfortable and I kept expecting a Crotch Doctor to jump out in front of me! :geek: So I turned them to the inside. I like it. Can leave them down, my legs ain't spread ( last thing I want is a crotch full of Grasshoppers) It's a more natural position and they look cool, even better for people around here that can read! They look close to the pipes but that's a op-pickle illusion. There is a few inches between my leg and pipes.
pegs.jpg

I had them but they're long gone, and yours should be too, lol. They're stock and are a limiting cap. They only allow you to turn the mix screws a little bit. You can and should pop them off. Then you'll get back the full, unobstructed range of adjustment.

So I got the carbs back together. I didnt really find anything obvious aside from some gunk on one of the mix screws. Started up just fine but now its slow return back to idle. Maybe an airleak somewhere. It also kinda shuts off abruptly. Now it doesn't really want to start. So its from bad to worse

Last edited:
This issue is very strange to me. I sprayed starting fluid all around the carbs and nothing seems to be leaking. After I took the boots off and replaced the gaskets it started and accepted some throttle action and was quicker to return to idle but still not that good. I couldn't get it to idle below 1600rpm. I would keep turning the idle screw and nothing would happen and then eventually it would just shut off. Carbs are my weak point. I'm really unsure of what to do next.

Last edited:
Tiesco, Sounds like it may not be getting good fuel flow from the tank. If you forget to turn the gas on, it will start right up, then may go to missing on one then fast idle as the mix means out then it will die. But I don't know?

Tiesco, Sounds like it may not be getting good fuel flow from the tank. If you forget to turn the gas on, it will start right up, then may go to missing on one then fast idle as the mix means out then it will die. But I don't know?

I guess I could try draining the gas and looking to see if there's any crap in there. Thats the one place I havent looked.

Make sure you have good flow from the tank first. Shake the bike and drain some gas in a jar and look at it to see if it's got crap in it.

Throttle shaft seals ? There has been quite a few instances of air leaks there over the years..

I sparyed starting fluid around the seals and nothing happened.When I split the carbs, I wiggled them around and they both had a very very small amount of play. The amount of play was equal on both carbs.

I understand that if the seals are worn, the throttle body is also worn

Do your intake boots have the vacuum barbs? Sometimes the caps get hard and don't seal so good.

Back