What have you done to your XS today?

My pipes started turning blue but only about 1/2 inch out from the mounts. No problem until the pipes started to show rust in the blue. Cheap chrome. I took a small brush and painted some "Flat Silver" VTH Flame Proof header paint around the area. Then I went for a 50 mile round robin. Paint is just perfect ( except for my brush marks) Still looks better than the rusty blue. I did get carried away and took the paint out further than I needed to but.
pipe paint.jpg

So, I comes back from the ride and my Highway Pegs had come in. The pegs are cool but there going to take some getting used to.
Hi Way 1.jpg
hi way 2.jpg

Maybe instead of fighting with these clamp mounts I should just do what you did and drill through the crash bar....

Here’s my jacket. I went with the smaller of the two. I have needed to lose some weight For months now; I’m sitting at 205 currently, I was 165 just 3 years ago. This is a 42. The 44 was a little more comfortable because it was roomy everywhere, including the waist, and I was worried it wouldn't cinch up tight enough to prevent wind from getting in. If I lost even 10 lbs it would just be too big. Another thing that really made a difference to me was the thickness of the horse hide-the 44 felt much thinner. The collar stands up perfectly on this 42, and it feels substantial. Not so on the 44; the collar felt kind of flimsy and the whole jacket just felt thin. I love this shiny horsehide. Planning on riding in to work tomorrow and starting to break it in. Sorry for the weird poses and zombie stare; These were strictly fit photos for comparison to the 44.
1C62BC9B-1AB1-4950-A135-8DD688949491.jpeg
EBF26CE5-04DA-45B9-88DC-E9C53C0EB50C.jpeg
E42CA7F3-8D9A-4D29-8E14-0C7ECB6FABB9.jpeg

70686E0C-C55C-4E1E-ADAB-6F411782F10A.jpeg

2FC108C4-EF8D-41D4-8405-DA9E17BFBEB7.jpeg

4E3B8142-1A2B-41A3-A1C9-9DBA6481B1AB.jpeg

Last edited:
TZ,
Jacket looks real good. ( I would have went with the larger since I have given away ones I outgrew) I thought the sleeves might be a little short when you reach for the bars but maybe not. Looks good!

The Highway pegs, the crash bars were already fitted with bushings welded in place.

Both sets of pistons come from an XS1b, both have the same dimensions, but each set has a different number 96.4 / 96.3
S650-017990 has 96.4
S650-013593 has 96.3 piston set has the notches on the exhaust side, who can clarify?
thank you, scrap metal

Attachments

• IMG_9504.JPG
    IMG_9504.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_9506.JPG
    IMG_9506.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_9508.JPG
    IMG_9508.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_9509.JPG
    IMG_9509.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 114
Both sets of pistons come from an XS1b, both have the same dimensions, but each set has a different number 96.4 / 96.3
S650-017990 has 96.4
S650-013593 has 96.3 piston set has the notches on the exhaust side, who can clarify?
thank you, scrap metal
There shouldn't be a decimal point on 'em. the 964 is added to 74 for actual diameter. So, 964 means the piston was 74.964mm when it was made. Since it's used, it doesn't really mean anything any more.

From running perfect to running like shit. It started right up then gradually got worse and stalled from time to time and now it won't even start. It seemed to me like something gummed up the carbs but even after I cleaned them it still didn't want to start without heavy throttle application. Maybe I just didn't clean em good enough.

From running perfect to running like shit. It started right up then gradually got worse and stalled from time to time and now it won't even start. It seemed to me like something gummed up the carbs but even after I cleaned them it still didn't want to start without heavy throttle application. Maybe I just didn't clean em good enough.
Tiesco, you noticed the holes in the carbs are SMALL! Did you use in-line filters? Strainers on the stand pipes in the tank? Once the carbs are spotless, filter the gas! It's a long way in there. :poke:

Yeah I have strainers on the petcocks

I let the cylinders air out and came back after dinner it started right up with what little gas was left in the bowls.
Whatever. I'll sort it out.

Last edited:
I’ve spent the last week agonizing over which size jacket to go with. The 44 I ordered seems too roomy throughout, but the 42 that arrived yesterday is JUST a touch too tight in the chest. The question is - am I going to accept my weight and trajectory, or am I going to get back in shape and lose enough weight for the 42 to be safe? Also, I compression tested my left cylinder and only got 90. I didn't get around to testing the right. I just kicked the bike over like 10-20 times without power. Could that low of compression be the reason for my
Bike losing power and slowing down around my top speed? Or is my compression tester not being accurate? The last couple rides I took when I get up around 60-70, if I’m going uphill the bike loses torque and basically starts slowing down. I thought it was perhaps the carbs being gummed up but now I’m not so sure. It’s getting really nice here this week, I’m itching to ride to work in one of my jackets. Not knowing which size to keep and worrying about my Bike is agonizing.

I had to lose 50 lbs to get back into the Schott I bought in 1984. It was worth it! Allowing excess weight is a bad idea. My Schott was snug when I got it. It’s supposed to be nice and snug. Not tight.

9E2FD959-E54C-44BD-874D-D16C0FE494C6.jpeg

My uncle sporting a Perfecto shortly after the war.

7BE5623E-8FD0-42BF-AC84-6C2813611CB1.jpeg

It’s supposed to be snug.

I had to lose 50 lbs to get back into the Schott I bought in 1984. It was worth it! Allowing excess weight is a bad idea. My Schott was snug when I got it. It’s supposed to be nice and snug. Not tight.

View attachment 165656

My uncle sporting a Perfecto shortly after the war.

View attachment 165658

It’s supposed to be snug.
That pic of your uncle is truly awesome. I went for a short ride just an hour ago- I’m worried it’s too small. It’s snug everywhere, which is good, but the arm holes cut into my armpits just enough to notice. Not even my armpits per se, but actually where my pec meets my shoulder. I’ve put on serious muscle over the last few years, and my lats and arms have gotten bigger. I don’t think I have any fat to lose in my armpits. I am agonizing once again. The 44 was definitely NOT snug ANYWHERE. I really need a 43, which they don’t make. I don’t know what to do.

Back