What have you done to your XS today?

Spent some quality time with mineral spirits and brushes scrubbing a 5V4 82 motor's belly.
20210310_125105.jpg

dragged up from the "Shelf". Must be getting old, walk 60 feet, carrying a motor, woosh! tag sez 10K, comp 120/80 IIRC it came out of a crashed bike hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :cool:
team jim gonzo iggy on a jim rotor......

Last edited:
Changed the "Monster" coil. The old coil was shorting out internally. The new coil was another "Monster" coil and mysteriously, the stumble off idle disappeared with the old coil. Hmmm. I wonder if the timing light will work again? Will check on that later. Update. YES! The timing light works again! Checked timing Sunday and adjusted it slightly. The plugs were pulled and they are running much cleaner. Looks like they were not getting full voltage when they fired. They were getting darker and darker and I was leaning the mixture to bring the right color back. Now I know what was happening. The SG was running well, or so I thought. When infact the coil was going bad. Take this to heart, If your running wasted spark system ( single dual outet coil) make sure both caps are on the plugs when running your engine.

Last edited:
So Gary, is this a donor motor for one of your BBKs? :umm: or are you channeling your inner Mailman with all this scrubbing going on?:D
:unsure: I'm no mailman, see my avatar :redface:.
Well yeah, a bud is willing to do another top for me so perused the shelf and this seemed attractive for that. Was cleaning on it some more today sun was coming in the shed door, so was pretty nice to be "outside" working in the sun. Put in a new sump filter, put a kick starter on, PB blaster, plugs out, hand spun it (some) Now I'm second guessing :doh: that I oughta fire it up and see where the compression goes before pulling off the jugs. :shrug:
Gotta peak in a see how the cam looks but bottom end looked good. clean and shiny.
Started thinking; a gonzo would make a pretty slick test iggy, bolt on rotor and stator, have a complete gonzo setup on a test stand, spin, run. :umm:

Last edited:
Got my ft./rear hubs back from the vapor blaster....really nice. A bit of just hand polish when I wake up here and good to go attempt some ft. wheel lacing w/ the original rim and original, new spokes n nipples. I sanded,polished my new cam chain w/ a course and a medium sponge block. Seemed to get those outer edges rounder and smooth out the outer top of the continuous chain. Sitting in mineral spirits after brake cleaner. Will get some sticky lube back on before wrapping it back n into the box. Thinking I will also, today strap the pistons on the small ends, put the barrels on w/ a gasket. and torque down some solder to measure clearance, squish...extrapolate CR...while I'm thinking about it. maybe weigh each piston as well...wish I'd brought those side covers to the blasted. What a freking chore getting the corrosion spots out.

Vinegar and deck screws went in at 9 PM last nite. Been shaking like a Polaroid picture. The liner is coming out in sheets.
If you have some acetone or MEK, test it against a piece of that liner and see if it will dissolve. I’m if so, use it to remove whatever you can’t get out mechanically. I believe some liners may require paint stripper. Try solvent first.

33EA00BD-AE4B-4F1E-B22B-4582723183E0.jpeg
Went to fire the bike up today and got a pool of fuel from the left carb. Old float decided to leak on one side. Bottom of float developed tiny pinholes from corrosion, maybe old fuel. Oh well, apart again - is this supposed to be fun? lol?

Finished my bike (cosmetically speaking).
Broke with tradition and borrowed some ideas from other models.
Painted: (Bountiful Blue) - Headlight ears and Headlight Shell.
Chromed: Gauge Buckets, Covers on bottom steering yoke, Points and Advance covers, Chain Guard and Headlight Rim.
In the next 12 months I will start thinking about the motor, which is a bit tired.
I have shown some photos with the last photo just showing how bikes have changed from a rear shot.
Regards Ray.
P1030714.JPG
P1030716.JPG
P1030718.JPG
P1030719.JPG

Chromed: Gauge Buckets
Very classy looking! The headlight bucket and ears really look especially sharp. Mufflers sure are the right length and shape too.
Very nice 77 :cool:

Finished my bike (cosmetically speaking).
Chromed: Gauge Buckets, Covers on bottom steering yoke, Points and Advance covers, Chain Guard and Headlight Rim.
In the next 12 months I will start thinking about the motor, which is a bit tired.
I have shown some photos with the last photo just showing how bikes have changed from a rear shot.
Regards Ray.
View attachment 186879 View attachment 186880 View attachment 186881 View attachment 186882

Beautiful job on your restoration, just the right blend of tasteful mods! And it’s a nice contrast with that tasty Honda you have it parked next to! :thumbsup:

Back